Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Antonio Hart -- Harper Brothers -- Roy Hargrove -- DD Jackson -- Javon Jackson -- James Carter,  and others of their time.
A lot of promise.  A strange time in Jazz.

D.D. Jackson -- PAIRED DOWN  vol one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta7b0Hl0ZJU
It's ok to laugh.  I did.   Love it.

Who is Hugh  Ragin, and why have I not heard of him?

Cheers
Frank Wess:

Awesome.  A good example of what The Frogman says about playing soft and slow.  Just watching him makes you realize that.

Cheers
Taylor and Harper:

Loved it!!  Maybe we don't need new music, we just need new players to play the classics.

How is the other Harper Brother doing? The drummer seems to have a nice career.  

Cheers

Frogman, you're a musician, I've been to a number of jazz sets with musicians, that's because they always made the major sets. This was at a time when we sat at tables, as opposed to seats in an arena, and I always seemed to be seated at a table with a musician. Yall hear differently; when I got lost, the musician would tell me what was going on, but it was like water off a ducks back; nothing's changed; "Behind the beat, in front of the beat" doesn't seem to make any difference to me. Someone said Art Blakey was always behind the beat; behind the beat, in front of the beat; whatever, I like Art Blakey. Although it's good to know such things if you're a musician.

Enjoy the music.