Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Along time ago, someone not even on this thread, mentioned that Blakey played behind the beat, and I mentioned it with no thought of Frogman. The real question is why does Frogman always make mountains out of mole hills and think everything I utter pertains to him personally, and why did Frogman go on and on; he does that each and every opportunity he can find. He wrote three long paragraphs about "Behind the beat or in front of the beat". Not only that but he totally misinterpreted what was about nothing, without even a thought of him in mind.

I read about "modal music" in the 60's, and I still don't know or care what it is.
I realize there are people who do care, and that's good, but I don't, now hang me or shoot me.

"Behind the beat or in front of the beat" pertained to a statement about Blakey, and had nothing to do with Frogman. Now that I've written all these posts, I'm sure you can find something else to go on and on about; remember "my friend", the musician who didn't practice; how long did that go on?
O-10, I have a nice glass of Cabernet in my hand so I am feeling patient. I will give it a shot:

I have no interest in anyone’s (including your) acknowledgment of my "wisdom"; I don’t think of it that way, and I don’t operate that way. The issue, and something that you seem incapable of understanding, is that it is downright annoying (at best) and disrespectful (at worst) when you come chiming in and basically say that, since I was not addressing musicians, my comment was worthless to participants in this thread; especially when the comment was in response to someone else’s query, not yours. Please don’t misunderstand; when I say "disrespectful" it is not that I feel I deserve any particular respect for any other reason than what can be expected in any reasonable human, and adult, interaction. I make no mountains out of molehills. This claim is, however, your pattern. You make a blanket statement that is dismissive of a comment that is intended as an honest contribution and then when there is a reaction you make your claims. Anyway, I could go on, but as I write this it becomes more and more clear that it is not surprising, and actually quite fitting, that someone who has no interest in knowledge should be so blind to the truth of what happens in basic "social" interaction.

****and think everything I utter pertains to him personally, ****

Don’t flatter yourself; that is the last thing I am interested in. However, it would be nice if you got your facts straight.

****He wrote three long paragraphs about "Behind the beat or in front of the beat". ****

Really? I believe it was one; and not directed at you. But it begs the question: why does it bother you that there is much to say about rhythm? I thought you were a music "aficionado"?

Enough of of that nonsense; Blakey: I have news for you. It was, in fact, I who made the comment about Blakey’s rhythm; however, as is typical, you misconstrue what the comment was really about. Go back and search our "archives", and you will find that my comment was that I found Blakey to play with a somewhat "lazy" time feel and that I generally prefer a drummer with a more "incisive" rhythmic sense. You reacted very strongly to this comment and since Blakey is one of your musical heroes, you seemed to feel that not only was my comment incorrect, but you seemed almost offended by it.

Now, let me ask you: should not a person like yourself who puts so much stock in subjective opinion respect what was, simply, my subjective opinion about Blakey? I, in no way, claimed that he wasn’t a good drummer, but simply that I preferred a different style of drumming. Btw, that discussion was in the context of a debate about the relative merits of Miles’ "KOB" vs Cannonball’s "Somethin Else"; if you care.

Time for another glass. 🍷 Cheers!
****Is this the "I feel good" James Brown?****

Damn right! You beat me to the punch with that clip. Killing! and totally in the pocket; as always.

DD Jackson: Fabulous! Loved it and one that I will have to get. James Carter sounds amazing; this is one time when his exuberance as a player sounds completely appropriate and not bordering on "over the top". Thanks for the clip and the introduction.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AsVyPAVBzRQ