Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Digging the last 25-30 posts.  Love, love love Byrd, Roy Hargrove and James Brown.  Just finished ripping almost 2000 cd's and finally have time to listen. 

James is funky.  Seriously so.  I've heard him live twice and his band starts the gig like they've been playing for a couple of hours locked up hard in the groove. 

This is a new one for me.  A serious groove, a serious cover by Nina Simone.  The bass player is, (for me) the epitome of cool.

Have a great night.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWOVrwe1Zw

Willis Jackson: Jackson, Charles Earland, Pat Martino, Idris Muhammad; what could possibly go wrong?  Soulful, funky; and that tenor sound!  Martino has always liked to play with organ players; he is a monster player.  Muhammad was one of Dexter Gordon's last drummers; great player.  Earland "The Mighty Burner".  Great lineup.

In his review on Allmusic, Scott Yanow states "This is a particularly exciting release... The chord changes might be fairly basic but Willis Jackson plays with such enthusiasm and exuberance that it almost sounds as if he had discovered the joy of playing music".
Hargrove "Soppin The Biscuit".  Nice!  Probably my favorite Hargrove so far.  Notice how he left space in his solo and didn't cram every beat with notes; much more coherent solo as a result.  Turrentine; what a sound!  Knew it was him after a few notes.

Loved this one; then again, it's with another one of my favorite tenor players:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLLhORrvwD4q8PiN2bIn5cbuaHiomigktt&params=OAFIAVgF&v=nC0zxx...

Who can name the tune that Joe Henderson quotes at the very start of his solo at :45?  Hint: Cuba

I may have to get check out Hargrove again. Thanks for the clip.
psag, welcome to thread!  Rok beat me to the punch with his comment.  I think it's hard to make a case for

****In the 60's the hotseat for jazz creativity moved to Europe, ****

when, for starters, you had the work of, among others, Miles and Trane during that period.  

Please don't let the challenge discourage you from posting.  You will find very passionate opinions about jazz and its history here; but, different and interesting points of view are always welcomed.  Looking forward to your comments and contributions.
jzzmusician, I'll have to listen to that clip another couple of times; I was way too distracted by Liz Wright.  I think I'm in love.