Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I asked the question because on the clip you posted Silver solos (what I thought you meant by "expand") for about three minutes and on the clip from Newport he solos for about six minutes.  He also plays much more percussively (like a drummer) on the Newport; not a better or worse thing, just different.  The distortion doesn't bother me in the least; the music comes through loud and clear.

****The interesting fact is, the composer was on both versions; he just decided to play slower with the "Jazz Messengers".****

i doubt that the tempo on Blakey's version was Silver's call since he was a sideman on that date and I have not heard any version of that tune with Silver as the leader that is anywhere near as slow.  I don't think the tune works as well at the slower tempo, and"languid" is a good characterization of Blakey's drumming on that cut.   As I have said before his drumming strikes me lazy sometimes.

****", I didn't know we were through with Mr. Silver****

Wasnt suggesting we were, nor that you were the only one giving Señor Blues attention.  Just surprised the tune hadn't been mentioned by anyone.  No direct reference to you.

Leon Thomas sounds great singing the tune until he starts the yodeling thing; a bit much this time.  Thanks for the clip.

Frogman, the yodeling is a Leon Thomas signature thing. The only other yodeling I ever recall before him was that cowboy thing, and there certainly isn't any semblance between the two. Although I recall Rok making the same comment, I like it.

When he sounds like Joe Williams, which is how he sounded when he started with Count Basie, is what I like the least; it's too commercial for my taste.

In the comments section, most of the people stated they liked the yodeling. Someone said he was inspired by African Pigmies, but I don't know anything about that. Someone else said it was an acquired taste thing, but I liked it the first time I heard it; it definitely sets him apart from the crowd, and I think he should have focused on what set him apart from the crowd as opposed to just singing.

Since "Nica's Dream" is my favorite tune by Horace Silver, I liked both versions a lot, but the messengers with Donald Byrd and Hank Mobley was definitely my favorite.

I interpreted your statement as meaning we have covered all there is of significance by Horace Silver. Feel free to take us in any direction you choose.

Enjoy the music.
***** I interpreted your statement as meaning we have covered all there is of significance by Horace Silver.*****

Surely you jest!!   You have not even reached  Dee Dee Bridgewater yet.  No Filthy McNasty?   'The Cape Verdean Blues' has some nice playing / tunes on it also.   The list goes on.

Hang in there.  You got work to do.

Cheers
O-10, I like and appreciate clarity in communication; I think the lack of it has led to a lot of silly bickering here.  For that reason, these and any other related comments/questions are in that spirit and an attempt to avoid miscommunication going forward; nothing more.  Having said that, and so that I can be more clear and concise in the future, what exactly about my comment caused you think that I thought that

****we have covered everything there is of significance about Horace Silver****?

On the other side of the coin (so to speak), while I am well aware that the "yodeling" is a "signature thing", I wrote:

****; a bit much this time****

Iow, I don't particularly dislike it, just think he took it too far in that performance; to the point of distraction.