Advice on Phono Cartridge

Hello All!

I have a Pro-Ject Debut III with the original Ortofon OM-5 cartridge.  I have never been very impressed with the sound of the table/cartridge.  I am looking at upgrading the cartridge and I am most interested in The Ortofon 2M Blue or the Denon DL-103R.  I would like to stay under $300 for a cartridge.  I haven't really heard any other cartridges.  People seem to have a lot of good things to say about those two, but I'm open to others as well.  Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!!

petrela
What table/tonearm did you have the OM-5 on?

Was also a Pro-Ject Debut III.  I think you'll like the 2M Blue.
Not to come off a snob, but a $300 turntable isn't really going to sound "impressive" as you say, so maybe you're just expecting too much.  I have owned the Music Hall MMF5 and found it to be quite excellent for the money, but it still is quite a bit more money than the Debut.  That said, before I changed anything, I would try a Herbies mat.  It made a huge difference on my Music Hall, to the point I wouldn't have thought possible.  It's full money-back, so there's no risk.  OTOH, it totally screwed up my Linn, which shows you that nothing works on everything.  Try it, it may solve your problems very inexpensively.  Good luck. 

Thanks chayro.  I may try the mat.

As I mentioned before, I am planning on upgrading my turntable in the next few years.  For now, I'm just trying to get the best results I can.  New speakers are my next big priority.