Stepping up to the next level ? HT and Music

A little about the system.
I have a Onkyo 5509 Pre pro , 2 Emotiva Xpr 2 amps bi amped powering Tyler Acoustics D1x speakers . 1 Tyler center channel speaker and 4 tower speakers for surrounds and back powered by a Rotel 5 channel amp . 2 Chase 18.2 subs powered by a Suntron M 600 amp. the room is 17 x17 and I can seal it off with a door .

No problems with the system for movies and no glaring problems for music . I would just like it to sound more musical but still run my subs at the same time .

I know music lovers say no to subs but I really like the layer they add to music . So what are my options ?
1. Add a pre amp for music ? But what about the subs ?
2. Better Pre pro like a Classe ssp 800 but loose room correction .

I have had a tube amp in the mix and really liked it . The sound wrapped around my speakers but was not loud enough when I wanted to turn it up . Also cant justify running tubes always when watching movies and tv and the associated heat that comes from them .

Im looking for suggestions that I may have overlooked or advice from those who have had similar problems .
Like I said , it sounds good but would like to take it to the next level musically . I mainly listen to cd,s but am looking at a music server and or computer audio . No vinyl at this time but may add at some time later .

Thanks , Lambeau
lambeau
Having experienced obsolescence with a Proceed PAV/PDSD, I'm leery of spend big bucks on another pre-pro. Instead I opted for using an Oppo 105 as a processor as well as a disc player, and using a Parasound JC-2 BP analog preamp for stereo. Analog preamp technology is stable, whereas processor technology evolves as codecs evolve. Stereo from the Oppo goes to the JC-2, surround directly to the amps, sub to a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager (but could go directly to the pair of the HGS-15). An Ayre C-5xeMP and JC-3 phono stage share the JC-2 with the Oppo. The setup is flexible and the sound quality is excellent; it is used for both music and HT.

db
Kr4 , I have looked at the Emotive website and their tutorial videos about their XMC1 and have a better understanding of using Dirac and the filters now .
As stated earlier , I will be waiting for your results on the XMC 1

Also checked on the Parasound P5 and the unit looks very interesting . Bass management "analog" ,Dac , preamp ,xlr sub out along with a phono stage .Has plenty of output voltage and output specs look like a good match for my amps .How is the sound Quality compared to the Onkyo. Are their any other preamps like this , Maybe with tubes ?

Thank you everyone for your replies and Please keep them coming .
I was doing the same thing switching cables for two channel and HT.
Bought a Kramer switch box so no more pulling cables.
I use 2 XLR Y cables out of my Vac pre and have subs on one side of the Y's and then the other sides go to the Kramer SB.
My AV-8 processor has only rca in and out so I installed RCA-XLR adaptors.
For movies I can't tell if there is any degradation whatsoever.
Concert Blurays also are dead quiet.
The Kramer VS4X is a four channel pro balanced switcher and it's just one push of the button and I'm two channel or HT.
Works very good and stress free.
Whenever my AV-8 dies I will go to a Bryston Sp-3 processor which is all balanced and I won't have to use the RCA-XLR adaptors.
Hope that helps as it works great as it use to be a real pain pulling cables,let alone wear and tear on the inputs and outputs.
I use subs in my main 2 channel system, too. My suggestion would be to exercise great care before replacing the Onkyo (or at least replacing it with a unit that does not share the Audyssey software).

It's entirely possible that other software has a "higher ceiling" for room correction/subwoofer integration, but Audyssey xt 32 is awfully good and virtually goof proof. I've used an (older and more primitive) manual room correction system and it was both a royal PITA and tricky to dial in. I'd assume that the newer systems are better, but the process is likely similar - repetitive manual manipulation of interactive parameters.

My guess is that going that route is probably as likely to yield worse results than improvements - unless you bring a lot of time and determination to the table.

Unless you are a really dedicated soul, I'd look elsewhere for an upgrade. Main L & R speakers are usually a good place to start.