Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

"There is one thing I know about this country for sure. Money talks, BS walks. He would not be where he is if he were not the best man for the job. Too much is at stake for BS."

Those are the truest words you ever spoke, "Whatever the aristocracy says, is what they say it is; end of all arguments.

Enjoy the music.

Since I don't even know how to spell the word, it's for sure I don't qualify.

Enjoy the music.

"Smokey Robinson" was when "Mo-Town" made Detroit one of the top cities in the country, and I was there; it seemed that everybody had a new car, fine clothes, nice home, and lived good.

Now I know what a "Grand-Poobah" is. let's make Thursday, any thing goes day.

Mapman, with a headdress like that, there could be no doubt who "The Grand-Poobah" was.

Enjoy the music.

Art Pepper knew how important "The word on the street" is in jazz. So much so, that he overheard some "jive turkeys" bad mouthing him, and alleged reverse racism; what he didn't know is that the word on the street had given him his proper place in jazz as an alto sax man, and his record "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" confirmed that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Pepper_Meets_the_Rhythm_Section

Jazz musicians are the most independent individuals I've ever met; Miles said something to Red Garland, that he shouldn't have said, and Red was gone, just like that. For better or worse, they live life like they see it, and don't have no "Boss Man"

Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones, would not have recorded with Art Pepper, if he wasn't qualified.

Enjoy the music.