Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Wait, wait, wait! How could I be so mistaken? Rok, you may not have known it, but YOU are the Grand Poobah of Jazz 😎

Oh no, I'm just a member of the Great Unwashed with a stereo, and a few Jazz CDs.

There is no place for folks like me in the esoteric arena of The   Grand, and The Exalted Grand, Poobahs.

When you Poobahs start throwing salvos, we unwashed just duck.

Cheers

Frogman I credited "Sun Ra" to Rok, when you're the one who submitted him, my apologies. You ain't seen nothing until you've seen a Sun Ra video; I keep hoping that one of them will make some kind of sense; June Tyson, and the other members of his crew worked so hard to make it happen, but it always fell short.

If you ever want to escape your own logical senses, look at a Sun Ra video.

Enjoy the music.
The employment office Sun Ra was great.   He should leave Ellington alone.   They are really from different universes.

He is much better when you can see the group.  Audio only,  not so great.  I confess I did buy one of his LPs.  I was always amazed that he got other players to buy into this stuff.

Cheers
Rok, Audio...WTF,,,,Although video will knock your mind out of socket, it's much better than any other other drugs.  I think dope addicts should be forced to look at Sun Ra videos, and then they'll be spaced without drugs.

Sun Ra; A Joyful Noise" is the video that shows the big house they live in, and gives a few performances of the crew; I found it entertaining.

Enjoy the music.