Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
During a recording session multiple "takes" (a recorded performance beginning to end) of a tune are usually recorded. Sometimes the first performance of the tune is so good that the players (and/or producer) feel there is no need for another and that is what one hears on the final product; and, since there is a certain mystique (due to the spontaneity factor) around "first" takes they will sometimes be labeled as such on the LP/CD. However, even in these cases they will record "alternate" takes as backups in case of later technical issues with the "first" or simply a change of opinion about the musical merit of it. These alternate takes are considered good enough for the final product even of they are not used; although they may be included and labeled as such (usually in later compilations).

Recordings (or takes) can get damaged or lost because of the effects of time or human error and viable alternate takes may not exist. What may be left are simply "first" or "second" takes that may or may not have been intended for the final product. The inclusion of a "second" take is more than likely a way to complete the document of that recording session for aficionados who are eager to hear every available bit of the artist's work even if not the very best.
The Frogman:

Thanks for the info. I was listening to Mingus' 'Tijuana Moods' this morning. A 2CD set. The entire CD #2 is just alternate takes of CD#1. Great music.

Cheers
Fabulous! Isn't it amazing how the list of great players doesn't seem to end. I first became acquainted with Sahib Shihab from his work on the recordings of the Francy Boland/Kenny Clarke Big Band; probably the greatest of the European big bands and composed of many American players living in Europe. Notice who else is on this recording: Benny Bailey, one of the most exciting trumpet players ever (Less MacCann "Compared To What"). Great stuff and thanks for sharing.