Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Hi Orpheus - one of your recent posts reminded me of the Previn conversation, and that fact that I never did listen to that.  So I just did.  Previn's general reputation, both in the classical and jazz worlds, is that though he was quite talented, he was not very consistent.  At his best he was very good indeed, but he was not often at his best.  For  me, the particular clip you posted is blah.  The orchestra members are clearly bored out of their minds, and his own performance is perfunctory as well.  Definitely not Previn at anywhere near his best.  I don't remember if the date was listed on that clip, but I would guess it was towards the end of his tenure as their music director.   If it was near the beginning, that must have felt like a long tenure, indeed.....

You also asked for comments on what you call a "controversy."  Though I am much busier these days than I used to be, I have visited this site every few days and have kept up with all the posts (though not all the music posted, unfortunately).  My personal opinion is that this "controversy," as you call it, is mostly in your own head.  I think it is pretty clear to everyone else reading this thread that Frogman does not have a "mission" against you.  One thing you said in that post is very telling for me - "since Frogman is a musician, and you value a musicians input over a sincere and honest evaluation of the music..."  huh??  

First of all - this implies that Frogman is not sincere and is not giving an honest evaluation, which I think is ridiculous, and I think everyone else that reads this thread would agree.  

Second - While I think you are sincere about what you like, and honest about it too, I would say that what you are being honest and sincere about is not really the music itself - it is your own emotional reaction to it, which is NOT the same thing at all.  You have repeatedly proclaimed your ignorance of music and that you are proud of it and will never study it.   You simply do not speak the language, and don't care.  This is precisely why this is not a "controversy" to anyone but you, and also why there can be no actual debate or even meaningful dialogue with you about music.  You can't really tell us WHY you like one performance over another, or one version of a tune better than another, because you don't speak the language.  But you do get mad if someone says they don't agree with you, especially when they have good reasons.  All I can say is that this is the price you must pay for maintaining your ignorance.   
Ellington/Gonsalves: what is there to say? No realer (?) "real deal" than this. Gonsalves was brilliant; as was, of course, The Duke. Classic stuff from an era when this kind of music was, miraculously, a much more important part of the social consciousness. Can you imagine hearing a band like that live? Check this version out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbjzfZSmQMM

Observation: check out who (mostly) in the audience were really digging the music? Answer: the kids. This was probably around 1957-9 and we know what was happening in pop music around then; and how R&R used a lot of these rhythmic grooves. Not sure what I’m saying (no coffe yet); but, just sayin.

"Learsfool", Frogmans esteemed "aficionado friend", you and Frogman just totally lost it; for the "Jazz Aficionados" of which you are not one of, because you only respond in defense of "Frogman" or to help "Frogman" defend some indefensible position; I stated for them to disregard the fact that I started this thread in regard to an ugly decision they have to make. For you, I am rescinding that statement.

"Learsfool" I did not start this thread for two obsessed musicians to teach me music, "Can you read?" if so, read the purpose of this thread; the very last sentence in the purpose of this thread states; "Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Is there anything in that sentence that says "Please obsessed musicians, come teach me music"

Why don't you and Frogman start your own thread? And furthermore, your long-winded response only confirmed that you and Frogman are lockstep in "Cahoots", it didn't even respond to "Like Young" by Andre Previn, which the controversy was about. My suggestion is; why don't you two "obsessed lock-step in cahoots musicians" start your own thread.

Gonsalves at Newport:

On the original recording Paul sounds very distance from the band.  I read where he blew into the 'wrong' mic, or the recording engineer made a mistake during the performance.

The record company asked Ellington to do it again for the LP, and The Duke declined, saying he  would not ask Gonsalves to do what he did again on demand.

As a great Musician himself, he recognized that that was a special moment that could never be done again.

Later, they did 'fix' the recording through the magic of electronic and computer manipulation.   I have both CDs and the LP.

Cheers