Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
On this thread we have criticized or trashed people like,  Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Wynton Marsalis, Phil Woods, and have from time to time, spoken at least  a few discouraging words about anyone who is anyone.  Even Pops has not been spared.

My question is, why has criticism of one tune, by Andre Previn of all people,. caused such an uproar?   Why did you pick this moment, and this player, to burn all your bridges with the contributors and supporters of this thread?   Why are you falling on your sword over this guy?

I don't get it.  Can someone help me out?  Explain please?  If I had said it was elevator music, would we be going through all this?

What is this really all about?  You need to give yourself an honest answer to that question.

Keep in mind, on Audiogon, we are a minority, within a minority, within a minority.  Can't really afford to run interested folks off.

Cheers

Frogman, I found "OM" to be very relaxing; so relaxing as a matter of fact, that I went to sleep. That was it's purpose, and it worked for me.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, in 1959 I had never heard of Andre Previn, and a guy in the next barracks had all of his hit music at that time; out of everything I listened to, "Like Young" was my favorite tune.

Black 'Leotards' was the dress for ladies of the hip persuasion at that time, and when we went out, (me and my fellow Airman) I spotted a long lean fox dressed in black leotards; I went over introduced myself and asked if me and my friend could join her, and her friend; that was the start of something big.

The title of the album that tune is from is; "Secret Songs For Young Lovers", and it was quite appropriate for me and my new lady friend; she played it a lot.

I don't think my attachment to this song is any secret, and I am convinced that's the reason it has been trashed. That song could not have remained a hit if it had been "elevator music". Ella Fitzgerald is not in the habit of singing "elevator music"; Andre Previn is not in the habit of producing "elevator music", and now two musicians are going to tell me "Like Young" sounds like "elevator music".

They said it was "elevator music" because I posted it, and if you're so concerned about "Like Young" starting a flaming forest fire, why did you bring it up again?

Enjoy the music.
Maybe you post too much 'personal' stuff.   You can't expect people on this thread / forum to relate to things and / or people with whom you have a personal relationship or attachment.

As Acman3 said, he likes stuff that some people don't even consider music, elevator or otherwise.

Be secure in your own musical values and taste.

Lastly, it's like not someone called the music of Silver or Mingus music elevator fare.   It's only Previn.   I could talk about Jazz for a hundred years and never mention the guy.  

BTW, if you ride on enough elevators, I bet you will sooner or later hear the music of Ellington.  Just a little context.

Cheers