Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I first heard Grant Green when I was 16 and he was 23; he sounded then, just like he sounds on this post;

I'm feeling the spirit yall, and I'm going to "Go Down Moses"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRyz7aWcxUc

Now I'm going with Joshua, and me and him gonna "Fit De Battle Of Jericho". Can I git a witness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yVPWY7Kx-M

Enjoy the music.
Michael Brecker:

A virtuoso who can play!   I really enjoy listening to his music.   Solos are so coherent.

Today's Listen:

Horace Silver & The Silver Brass Ensemble -- IT'S GOT TO BE FUNKY (1993)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0noGBH68qkM

The most interesting tune was a vocal version of 'song for my father, vocals by Andy Bey.  Not on you-tube.  This is the tune with the Brass ensemble minus Bey.  Poor sound quality.   Not sure the ensemble adds anything. Blue Mitchell and et al were just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV3j9mjsfs8

Cheers

"It's Got To Be Funky":

Listened to the clip before reading the second part of your post.  My first thought was: "some writers are small ensemble writers; it's a different skill to write for large ensemble".  Eventhough the first "Silver And Brass" record worked well, I don't think this is as successful.  I agree, I don't think the ensemble adds much.  Also, I don't like the drummer; kinda loose and sloppy and not terribly "funky".

"It's Got To Be Funky": 1993
Bootleg concert recording ("Song FMF"): 1994.  Same bass player, different drummer.  Hmmmm!  Coincidence?  Not too many players would "turn down" a tour with Horace Silver 🤔

As I stated once before, I heard Grant Green when he was playing for "Grant Green" and nobody else. This was in St. Louis before Blue Note even heard of him. Although I was too young to be in an establishment that sold alcoholic beverages, I was tall, and wore a hat to look older. Anywhere there was live jazz, me and my high school buddies could be found. When we heard that Grant Green was playing at a club that we often passed by, you bet; we were there.

That was a long time ago, and my memory is not so good that I remember who was playing with him, or even if he had anyone playing with him. Since there was no admission, the club was packed, standing room only. That was just fine for us, because we were underage, and no one would notice this in a packed dimly lit nightclub. What I do remember is the sound of his guitar, and him; lean Grant Green with a head full of thick black hair, half standing, half leaning against a high bar stool. He was more playing to himself, than he was to the crowd of people. They were just like me and my buddies; we couldn't get enough of Grant Green's jazz guitar; all I ever heard him play was boss jazz; I can close my eyes and still hear them licks ringing in my ears. Every time he struck a note, it came ringing off that guitar like a rifle bullet, and penetrated your musical mind. Not before, not since, has anyone struck notes that rung like his.

I was listening to Grant Green before Blue Note ever heard of "Grant Green", and he was playing some boss "jazz guitar" then; how could he have been playing some kind of "Sub-Standard" jazz that was not fit for release after that time? Now I find that his records that were not released, (which were supposedly sub-standard) were the best that he ever made; the question is WHY?

I just received a CD titled "His Majesty King Funk" and Grant is striking some "Boss Jazz" licks even on this album. The organ is in the "funk" groove, but Grant's guitar is still striking some boss jazz licks. I got it posted here so you don't have to take my word for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dce3qcQ6qeE

I heard the man when he was playing for himself, we all knew Grant, he didn't have to impress us; he was playing what he felt, and it came out in those ringing notes.

Although I have a lot of Grant Green CD's, the question arose in my mind, "Why don't I have Grant Green records"? I love jazz guitar, and I've got a lot of Kenny Burrell records, why don't I have Grant Green records? The reason I don't have Grant Green records is because they were not released.

Enjoy the music.