Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Szabo:

Was introduced to his music while in Germany.  His were some of the first Jazz LPs I purchased.   Right along with Quincy and Wes.  I Have a ton of his stuff on LP.  Hard to find now on CD, except used. I do have on CD, 'The Sorcerer' and '1969'.

He definitely had a unique sound.   Maybe so unique it all has a sameness to it.   Brings back great times.  Sansui, Dual and JBL.

Cheers

Sansui,Dual, and JBL sounded pretty good back then, and they didn't break the bank. Even today, a Sansui tuner is beautiful, and it's sound is unique among tuners "mello" is how I would describe it.

Now that you mention it, I don't have any Gabor CD's. I guess I didn't keep up with musicians back then, because I didn't know a lot of things about him, like he was on drugs, and died relatively young. I don't think I've heard enough of his music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A1bor_Szab%C3%B3

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I wonder about these musician drug addicts in regard to their business dealings. First, no matter what the "up standing business" says about the "drug addict", the public takes their word for it. Now I find that the "up standing business" was flat out lying; and another question is "Why did that business have so many drug addicts"? So many that one musician left for that very reason. I didn't finish college, but I can add, subtract, multiply, and I can even do long division; these numbers for the musicians ain't coming up right.

Enjoy the music.
If you are speaking of Jazz musicians that end up broke and dead at 27, it's their fault.

Harsh but true: "A Fool and his Money are soon parted".

Truer words have never been spoken.

As I have said before, some folks just think other people should look out for their best interest.   What a strange idea.

I think the drug thingy is true for this reason:  Consider pro athletes.   Some make more money in a year than most working class folks make in their lives.  Within 5 years of their playing days, they are all broke.  Seek out, and watch the episode of the ESPN program 30/30 titled "Broke". You won't know whether to laugh or cry.   I laughed.

Lay off that purple stuff.

Cheers

Rok, you're talking in general, and I'm talking about specific cases where all the details were laid out. There is no doubt about what you are saying, but in this case the drug addicts were taken advantage of, the same as sharecroppers who couldn't read and write were taken advantage of.

You seem to be saying it's OK to take advantage of drug addicts just like it's OK to take advantage of people who can't read and write, is that right?

No, we are not talking about the same thing; this is about "so called" sub standard albums that were not released until after the musician was dead. Those albums as it turns out, were the best he ever made, and you being an 'aficionado' could judge that, in regard to the albums.

Enjoy the music.