Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Benson’s take on Mario Bauza’s Cu-bop classic which Grant Green recorded three decades earlier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=11-TeC5wq90

A generation that is not particularly appreciative of the "less is more" approach to things might be seduced by Benson’s very slick state of the art rrangement and production. I like it; but, for feel and swagger Green’s version gets my vote. I suspect O-10 would agree. What do you think, O-10?

Below is Frogmans statement in regard to the music posted.

"the recently posted "Live At The Lighthouse". Whose idea was it to hire Claude Bartee for that recording? Who knows. But it was not a good choice; he sounds absolutely awful on soprano saxophone. I can see a scenario where label executives would decide to not release a recording like that because there was so much other music in a similar bag being released by them or other labels. I hate posting recordings of what I consider inferior music, but simply to make a point here is a recording that, to my way of thinking, one has to wonder "what where they thinking?"; and almost twenty minutes of it!! Terrible horn arrangements. Sometimes artists make bad choices; sometimes producers make bad choices or decisions. Simple as that."

Here are two jams I posted 04-28-16. This is the music Frogman referred to as "inferior". While this music is "inferior" to Frogman, I don't like it any less because of his judgment; if anything, I like it even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW_YbNKAXfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC0qN0SquJM

Enjoy the music.

I don't pay any attention to those categories in regard to jazz (soul jazz) What's that? I'm not going to clutter my mind trying to define it. If you listen close to Grant Greens guitar, (Boss Jazz) is the only kind it (his guitar) knows how to play; and you can tell that from the sounds coming from the audience at "The Lighthouse".

No one comes between me and my music, not even my darling wife; right now I'm listening to "Flood in Franklin Park" and it's kicking, and cooking. Everybody is getting into the act: that organ is smoking, give the drummer some, cause he done kicked it up a notch, don't play that cat on the horn cheap; everybody made outstanding contributions on that cut, even the audience.

Enjoy the music.
For the record, and to keep my quoted comments in proper not incomplete/distorted context:

****The often discussed great (and he was) Grant Green made recordings late in his career that where, in my opinion, considerably inferior to his classics.****

Moreover, the entire second half of my quoted comments are in reference to a recording other than the reposted "Lighthouse" recording.  And, of course, the even bigger context and reason for my comments was the attempt to determine a possible reason for why some recordings are not released right away.  I am generally not one for conspiracy theories.  

Man, if that olive tree loses any more branches, not even Bird will be able to find a perch on it 😊

Rok, I've got almost all of Grant Greens CD's, and the one I like the least is "King Funk", but we ordered that for Donald Byrd, and not Grant Green, if you remember; consequently, that's good to.

Grant is a very creative artist, and you wont get stuck in a rut with him. I've only got two records, "Live At The Lighthouse", and "The Final Comedown" which is radically different, and I like it, but it didn't suit your taste; so almost everything except that. The best way to go about this, is to sample on "you tube" and get what you like that you don't have.

I've got so many that I forget what I got, and since I don't have them in any kind of order, it would be a job to find out what I got; if that makes any sense. He's the only artist that I didn't run into a brick wall with, meaning this sounds just like the last one; consequently, you wont buy anything that you'll regret having bought.

Enjoy the music.