Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** Who said he had a rough life? ******

You did.  He died young, strung out on drugs and broke.  Ooops, almost forgot, he was cheated and made to take drugs by the folks at Blue Note.

*****  What's a rough life got to do with his music? *****

On this thread, everything.  You don't examine his music so much as feel sorry for him.

*****  What the holy smoly does Prince have to do with Grant Green,  Since you threw in The Beatles, why quit there, lets throw in the Pope.*****

My way of saying, that if GAME CHANGERS, like Prince, The Beatles and probably every artist that has ever recorded, including Elvis, Chuck Berry and Miles, can have unreleased material, what is the big deal about a run of the mill R&G guitar player from St Louis having the same?

It and he are not that significant.   He did not change the direction of Jazz.   He was not Charles Christian.   Not Miles.  Not even Chuck Berry.   If he had not lived, how would Jazz be different today?   It wouldn't!

Made a few nice albums, but a lot of 'lame' LPs in the 70's.  Not my words, professional reviewers say this.

Get over it.  He was not that important.  He should thank Blue Note.

That's what I meant to say, or words to that effect.

Cheers

Frogman, and Rok, I never realized how good Grant Green's records were until now. I knew he was a good jazz musician, but I didn't realize how good until now. Maybe it's because I had heard him live without paying a fortune.

I don't know when or how he became a "junky"; I "strongly suspect" it had something to do with his associates at Blue Note records. Why did they, the junkys that is, wind up "poverty stricken"? Although they were some of the most talented jazz musicians who ever lived, they wound up poverty stricken. One of the reasons for certain is; they became junkys, but junkys with good business managers don't become "poverty stricken"; therefore I advise all junkys to get good business managers, and set a little aside for that "need a fix bad" day.

Enjoy the music.

Art Blakey would not have wound up poverty stricken, if he had quit hitting on "Nica". He didn't realize she was a 'Baroness' or didn't know what that meant. Rich Americans pay a fortune to get a title like that by marrying someone with a title. She was trying to help manage his affairs, and he was hitting on the lady. She could take a bath with nothing but a cigarette in her cigarette holder, listening to Monk and Miles, or whoever happened to be jamming downstairs, and no one would dare take a peek. She went to the worst neighborhoods in New York ( so bad that cops wouldn't even go to them), and let the winos guard her Bentley while she took in the set at a reserved table.

It would seem that would have told Blakey something; but no, not until the lady got tired of trying to help him, and I don't think he realized even then what went down; but I was told that drummers aren't the brightest bulbs.

Enjoy the music.

This is the day after an all night stand of partying, and nobody wanted to go home; it's around 7 AM and here we are sitting around "Maude's Flat", "whipped" meaning too tired, but not wanting to go home. There's a guy there I call "Rapscallion" because he's forever rapping, and everybody is listening because he's the only person with enough energy to rapp. Nobody knows what he's talking about, but he's talking fast and hip; consequently, it must be about something, but nobody has the mental agility to figure out what it is.

BLUES IN MAUD'S FLAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuJKFQ-OqPo

Enjoy the music.

Without any particular wish to try to establish the exact meaning of the term 'important' , on this forum or yet in jazz history, or to start another discussion, I would certainly called the sound and music of G.Green important. If that is any proof, it seems that obviously there were other 'important' or less 'important' players who thought the same and created some fine music with him, or were at least moved by his playing. Personal tastes a side, I think that there are only a few names whos absence in world of jazz would be felted in a way that today the music would be different without them, but to speculate about it seems absurd.

Here is one song on album of Orpheus's friend

https://youtu.be/vVMMcQspCDs