Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Today's Listen:

Jon Hendricks and Friends -- FREDDIE FREELOADER

The Friends include, George Benson, Al Jarreau, Bobby McFerrin, Wynton Marsalis and Stanley Turrentine and The ManhattanTransfer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9oOZ5-quDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sDtgFTTblc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMcIKiNm0ys

I hope this post does not suffer the same fate as The Bey sisters.  It's on the Denon label, so all the players should be drug free.

The lyrics to the songs and who was singing the part of what instrument are listed in the notes.  Nice touch.  Great stuff.

Cheers

Alex I appreciate you coming out in my favor, but I have totally disregarded them dudes in regard to "Grant Green". I'm trying to find out what the recording quality is on "The Complete Blue Note recordings of Grant Green with Sonny Clark"

Once before I got a long compilation of Chico Hamilton's albums, that had lousy recording quality. I got a 3 sound compilation with the same problem. It's a waste of time and money to get anything with lousy recording quality.

I want all 0f those albums that were released late and went to Japan, those are the ones I don't have. Let me know if you got a lead on those.

Enjoy the music.

Alex, you are officially one of the original aficionados, therefore what ever you say is important "is important". We write the rules here.

Enjoy the music.
Once again, grounded and significant exchange of ideas seems to get foiled by the tendency to want to take sides in a discussion/debate so as to somehow garner supporters. Alex, as usual, makes some very good, reasonable and evenhanded comments; there is nothing that he wrote re Grant Green that I can disagree with. Moreover, as I interpret his comments, I don’t see that he is coming out in anybody’s favor. He can, of course speak for himself on that point; although it’s not really that important. I see nothing in what he wrote that buttresses O-10’s comments about Green that have been the cause of the disagreement. I have repeatedly said that he was a great player, but that his later recordings were not as good as his classics. Rok has said essentially the same thing. Neither of us has said that he wasn’t an important player. I don’t want to speak for him, and only as way of example, but Rok’s comment was simply that he wasn’t THAT important that he was a game changer. I agree, although I believe that he was, in fact, an influential player. Why this opinion about this player should cause such a disturbance is what is, in fact, most ridiculous of all. So, why keep the commentary in a "me against them" kind of realm? I have said this countless times: there can be disagreement without disrespect if everyone is comfortable and confident in their opinions. Just don’t expect silence when disrespect is directed towards a dissenting opinion. What is this "true aficionado" (or not) branding bullshit? It will lead to nothing positive and is precisely the kind of thing that keeps things mired in negativity.

I find it ironic that a music that is so replete with subtlety and nuance should receive so little of the same by some of the commentary here. Why does it have to mean when someone says "I don’t like recording x by artist z" that everything else by the artist is thought to be no good? A ridiculous and very sophomoric notion. The post before this one says it all in my opinion; how pathetic.  As always, I hope we can do better.