... how important is Damping factor in determining what amp to buy

Hi there...

Just how important is damping factor in determining what amp to buy?

In literature and specs - I find this is an often left-out bit of info...

justvintagestuff
how important is Damping factor in determining what amp to buy
About as important as what color the amp is.
It's important enough to take into consideration along with everything else when trying to achieve a particular sound.  
It is not important at all. It is just another way of expressing the amplifier’s output impedance.

Most SS amps have an output impedance of 0.04 ohms, which is a DF of 200 or 8 divided by 0.04. If you include speaker cable impedance of, say, 0.1 ohm that means the speaker is at 98.3% of the amplifier load and the amplifier’s output impedance is 0.5% of the load, an almost perfect voltage source that is immune from the speaker’s varying load.

If you substitute an amp with a 2000 DF, it has an output impedance of 0.004 ohms and that is 0.05% of the total load. That is only a change of 0.45% with respect to the amplifier’s contribution. The speaker is 98.7% of the load, despite the amplifier being a more perfect voltage source by a factor of 10.

I seriously doubt that 0.45% change is audible. However, a general rule of thumb is that an amp with a DF of 20 or below has sonic consequences. Doing the math, the speaker in this case is 95% of the load -- a considerable change that results in sonic degradation from dynamic load variation since the amplifer is no longer a perfect voltage source .

Almost all of today’s SS amps use global NFB and high quality output transistors. It is the norm to see output impedances ranging from 0.01 to 0.05 ohms. That’s why you don’t have to worry about it.
Another way to say it is it is practically most significant in distinguishing amps when damping factor is low as in <50 or so as is often but not limited to the case  of higher output impedance tube amps.   Speakers that are tube amp friendly will tend to sound more relaxed and perhaps more natural when amp damping is lower or correspondingly output impedance higher.  

Some SS amps designed to sound more like tube amps likely also have lower damping factor.  Two I have owned that attest to that are Carver M4.0t and TAD Hibachi both of which are SS designs made to sound more like a tube amp.