Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
From the time that I started posting on this thread I have expressed the opinion that there is a danger to the music lover in losing sight of a certain degree of objectivity in evaluating not only the music, but also issues related to the music. Music lovers tend to over-romanticize the music, the musicians and the process of making music. "Process" is the operative word. There is a lot about this process that is very mundane and, if you will, technical. We want our precious music to be solely the product of inspiration and emotion. There’s more to the process than that. This tendency to over-romanticize and to be resistant to understanding the.....here it is.....the much ridiculed (by some) nuts and bolts of the process not only ironically clouds our ultimate potential to fully understand and enjoy the depth of the beauty of the music, it can also cause us to make all sorts of unfounded assumptions about the process and to see boogy-men where there are none. This absurd and long running Grant Green and his unreleased recordings saga is a perfect example.

So much has been made and speculated here about the reasons why some of his recordings were not released in a supposedly timely fashion. The OP has a very personal and romantic take on the situation and appears to be convinced that Green was a victim of greedy record label executives and has even insinuated that these executives deliberately fed this musician’s drug habit in an effort to exploit him. That the OP loves Green’s music is a beautiful thing. That the rose-colored glasses that he looks at everything Green through keep him from having a more realistic take on which of Green’s recordings have merit and which don’t is not. However, as concerns the issue of the release of recordings, he is so hell bent on believing that Green was a victim that he overlooks the most obvious. Personally, this is so obvious that it didn’t even occur to me to look at this aspect of the issue assuming that a true Grant Green-file like the OP would surely have done his homework; but, no, he prefers the romance of the "exploited artist" and fan (O-10). Acman3, don’t feel badly about not checking facts, your premise is correct; it is the important backdrop to the facts and your mention of the facts is what caused me to take a look at them more closely. The OP makes much to do about the facts. Since it is the Christian thing to do lets do the work for him and look at the facts (per Green’s Bluenote discography on Wiki); it may even put an end to this insanity:

Green recorded 6 records in 1961 - 2 were released that year
Green recorded 6 records in 1962 - 0 were released that year. But, wait!. 2 were released that were recorded in 1961.
Green recorded 3 records in 1963 - 2 were released that were recorded in 1962.
Green recorded 4 records in 1964 - 2 were released that were recorded in 1963.
Green recorded 1 record in 1965 - 2 were released that were recorded in 1963.

Do I need to go on? Is it not obvious?

CONTRACT, CONTRACT, CONTRACT, CONTRACT, CONTRACT, no conspiracy, no boogy-men; CONTRACT.

Green’s 2 year contract with Blue Note called for the recording of 6 records and the release of 2 records per year. In 1963 his new contract called for the recording of 3 records and still the release of two. By 1965 Blue Note had 11 (!!!!) unreleased recordings by Green including Green’s first (1960) which wasn’t released till much later. What the hell is BN supposed to do with all that material? There was probably a provision in the contract that stipulated that these would be USA releases. BN determined, for business AND ARTISTIC reasons, that the U.S. market could absorb only two recordings per year and, I am sure, were also concerned with the issue of overexposure for the artist. They chose the recordings that they felt were THE BEST for the U.S. market and later released the others in what is called a secondary market (Japan) where it’s possible the U.S. releases were not available. Then, on top of all that, we get to Acman3’s (and mine) premise; the backdrop to all the previous:

By 1963 Miles had recorded "KOB" and "Seven Steps To Heaven" and Coltrane had recorded "Giant Steps" and that very year 1963 saw the release of his "Impressions"; jazz would not be the same again. As great as a Green was his style of hard bop was being supplanted by something else and probably the reason that by the third year he was required to record half as many records.  What does he do? He tries to go the new soul/funk-jazz way. The rest is history and has been discussed here and beaten to death.

The ridiculous "junky" issue:

The OP obviously has no clue what a tremendous liability it is for a record company to have drug addicts on its catalog. The cost of a junkie not showing up for a recording session is tremendous. The studio and personnel as well as the other musicians still need to get paid; and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

As Rok so succinctly put it: "get over it".

"As Rok put it" is Rok no longer able to post for himself?

Frogman you were 100% wrong about that long running Grant Green saga, and there is no way I'm going to take the time to read your usual diatribe that says nothing, so you get over that.

Enjoy the music.
If you had not made this such a circus, we would have discussed Grant Green's music, posted a few you tubes and moved on, all the while thinking he was a very nice player who made some good records.

Instead, i'm beginning to really dislike the guy.   Now that I know of his drug addiction, I see him in an all together different light.  Drug use means he was not very smart.  Don't have much use for people that squander talent like he did.

Reminds me of a current situation in sports.  A football player from Mississippi was projected to be drafted in the top Five of the NFL draft.  Before the draft, a video of the player smoking dope appears on the internet.  Instead of top five, he gets drafted 13th.  The people in the know, say this means he lost Eight million dollars.  A poor guy who probably never had two dimes to rub together, just threw 8 million out the window.  Laugh or cry.   Your choice

Now he is trying to find out who posted the video.  Not, kicking his own ass for smoking, esp on camera, but looking for someone else to  blame for his stupidity.

Typical of weak minded stupid people.   It's never their fault.  It's the CIA, Blue Note, KGB, the Trilateral Commission even, BUT NEVER them.

So, instead of thinking he was right up there with Wes and Benson, I see him as just another junkie.

He got off his sick bed and went to NYC to record, not to pay his rent, not because he loved music, but because he needed a fix.  Pathetic.

Seems as if Prince might be dead for the same reason.

You should be running low on Kool Aid by now.

Cheers

I put every single CD I own by "Grant Green" on my computer play list; I went to sleep listening to Grant Green, I woke up just now Listening to Grant Green; just think of what I'll be able to do when I receive;"Grant Green: The Complete Quartets With Sonny Clark". I'll be able to re-live those glorious times when I saw him live. (he looked a lot different then) Lean, mean, Grant Green, with a head of thick black hair, playing his heart out; that man was born to pluck that guitar, I can hear it ringing in my ears.

Music, music, sweet sweet music; it feeds my soul, it gets me through days like this when all of the "aficionados" are throwing rocks at me; I'm so hurt, they don't like me; well you know what, "My heart pumps purple panther piss for them" HA, HA, HA, HA.

You know what, I haven't heard any "hard bop" in awhile, I think I'll see if "you tube" got "No Room For Squares", that means I can't take the rest of the "aficionados" with me because there ain't room; HA, HA, HA,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcq_zg-Zw5k

I bought this record brand new when it came out; it got 5 stars, and with a line up like this, it should have gotten 6 stars, but they only give 5; can you dig it Frogman? Every individual on this jam is a star in his own right. All I can say is;

Enjoy the music.