Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

The exploiter could have made a lot more money, if he had taken better care of the "exploitee" Even a parasite knows that he must not do anything to harm the host; he must keep the host alive. In this case the exploiter wasn't too bright.

Super talented people don't fall out of trees, and there were people at Blue Note who could have, and would have been more productive if the "parasite" who didn't play one instrument had realized that the host must be kept alive.

It's better to ignore this post, than respond to it; does anyone remember "Before the beat, or after the beat"
Hank Mobley, "No Room For Squares":

Somehow, I managed to squeeze into this room 😉 One of about one hundred of my favorite records which during a move and while temporarily laid on the floor, my Chihuahua "Max" chewed the spines of because he was pissed that he was being forced out of his comfy digs.  Original BN; great record and one of my favorite titles for a jazz record.  Wanted to kill the little bastard and kinda wish Rok's cat had been around.  Max is no longer with us......natural causes 😥

For me, if a tenor player had to be picked as being the "eye of the storm" of jazz, it would be Mobley.  What I mean is that he is, to my ears, squarely (pun) and very comfortably right in the middle between the swing tenor tradition and the post-hardbop Coltrane infused style.  Harmonically hip and sophisticated without getting too far out or with the sense that he was always reaching like Joe Henderson; a sense that he was comfortable just where he was with his vocabulary.  Warm tone without the modern edge.  Love his playing.

Nice clip, O-10; thanks.  And thanks for making think of Max. 

Well Frogman, I'm glad you could squeeze in.

That's one of the best, if not the best "hard bop" record in my collection.
Since you have indicated that you are definitely a "connoisseur" of that genre, I'll see what else I can find.

Enjoy the music.
After listening to Hyman play The Viper's Drag, reminded of this.  I love this stuff.  No video.  Criminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwl0uLA4jM4&index=17&list=PLU_nnz-RXpdgHDOHS3YswbyH6s-eDlDNx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnbccXiTesI&list=PLU_nnz-RXpdgHDOHS3YswbyH6s-eDlDNx&index=16

The Frogman:
What is meant by 'uptown' and 'downtown' in NYC?

Great stuff with Hyman.

Cheers

I saw "Ain't Misbehavin'" in St. Louis with a local cast; it was fantastic, the different cast was very energetic, and I enjoyed their performance to the max.

This original cast is one that can never be duplicated; it's the one all others will be compared with.

Enjoy the music