Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, you find out for sure, that's fine with me, but there is far more good music that I don't have in my collection for me to bother.

When you find out for sure, please let me know, and I will accept your findings as the last word.

Enjoy the music.

This Grant Green "Bruha"  produced some of the best music I have ever heard, and as Rok said; "It's got me spending money".

Enjoy the music.

Here is my opinion on John Coltrane. He was so talented, and so good, that it became easy for him to produce some of the best sounds anybody ever heard. When it became easy, he couldn't believe it, he thought he had to practice and work; that's what he did to get that good, it's time to just let his "God Given" talent take command and coast.

Every "candid" photo I ever saw of Trane, even when he was supposed to be having a drink and enjoying the company of other musicians, at Nica's pad, that sax was next to him; he even went to sleep in a chair, with that sax laying across him.

I had been admiring my friends music for 6 years before that summer he came to my apartment. The first time he performed when he was there, I was astounded at the new music. No he never practiced that summer, but each time, the music was different and the response from the audience was overwhelming. After the performance, he never asked me what I thought; although one look at me while he was performing told him anything he wanted to know about what I thought. "Where are we going to get a good bowl of chili?" was his opening conversation.

What I'm saying, is that after Trane got so good that it was unnecessary for him to practice, he kept on; he kept trying to improve something that needed no more improvement. Case in point, I'm making chili and I got it just right; but I decide to add a little more salt to make it "Mo better", and guess what?

I'm not the only person who says Trane went to far out before he died; but since Frogman plays the sax, I'm sure he understood Trane's every last note, but I didn't.

Now it's super absurd, to say that a person who had not played for a year did not need to practice; but how much practice does a performing improvising jazz musician need? I say that practice could take away some of the "instantaneous" improvisation required of a musician who is playing Trane's kind of jazz, which was the exact same kind of jazz my friend was playing.

Enjoy the music.