Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

original article, a part of Smithsonian Folkways Magazine

The music poured from the piano. On a large platform inside the oval mahogany bar at New York’s Hickory House, the last surviving establishment offering jazz on West 52nd Street, “Swing Street,” an authoritative African American woman in early middle-age sat at the piano, eyes mostly closed, her face registering every nuance in the music she was creating, back straight, her hands lying flat as they moved on the keys. She was wearing a royal blue chiffon gown of cocktail length, softly gathered at the shoulders. Her arms were bare. She had a beautiful throat and neck, good collarbones, and a dark brown face rising up from a strong chin to high cheekbones. Her mouth was well shaped and soft, and at times broke into a brief radiant smile when she achieved a particular musical passage. The smile never interfered with the concentration. There was nothing theatrical about her. You simply knew that you were in the presence of someone of the highest magnitude. Her name was Mary Lou Williams.

Rok, the reason we didn't know anything about the lady is because "There was nothing theatrical about her presence". I could go on and on about that, but I'm not.

Enjoy the music.
This is the first Williams CD I purchased.  The cover picture was a large reason why.  So Classy.   Has "1940's" written all over it.  I can remember when women dressed like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXveXHcVsrI

Cheers

Rok, that is one classy lady, and her picture is also in Nica's book. I remember that hair style; she was one classy lady her entire life, that's why we didn't hear about her.

Enjoy the music.

I've been comparing the quality of what we got with what the "analogers" got, and I'm having a hard time being able to tell the difference. I've got both on my play list. One thing is for certain, those CD's you got are better than my original LP's. The analogers will have to buy special LP's to better the new CD's, not to mention a minimum of 1K for a cartridge.

Times when my pockets were that deep are history, consequently it's moot in regard to the analog side, but we know for sure, that CD's can be as good.

Enjoy the music

Rok, they got a lot of good looking box sets, but how do we find out about the quality. I bought Chico Hamilton one day and sold it the next, same for the 3 Sounds; the question is "How do we find out about the recording quality"? Horace Silver box set looks especially good, so does Lee Morgan. Which box set did you buy that you were supposed to get back to me with?

It says if not satisfied they will refund or replace your purchase.

Enjoy the music.