Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

After that scientific examination and evaluation by a certified audiophile, I can feel confident that the BN Box sets will yield sonics of the highest quality, and I have taken your handicaps into consideration. (maybe you could work on those in your spare time)

Volume a little low is better than volume too high. I think I can overlook the fact that I have 3 of those at that price; especially considering one of them might be a scratchy record.

When the volume is too high, and it's on your play list, you will be awaken from a nice snooze thinking war done broke out; that one gets deleted.

I forgot which Silver was the one everybody liked, but it was in the 70's I believe, which means it wont be in the Silver collection. Job well done, carry on.

Enjoy the music.

Hi O-10 - first, I want to say that I do feel bad at how acerbic my post last night was.  I have been very ill with a strange stomach bug, and it was bothering me, and while that is not an excuse, it is a reason the bile came out in my post.  I apologize for the tone of it.  

Second - we actually had quite an extended conversation on this thread a couple of years ago, I think, about different ways that classical musicians improvise.  Mostly it is keyboard players who do it on a regular basis. All professional organists, for instance, can improvise as well as a jazz musician - they do it every day in their jobs, too.  I can improvise myself, though I do not do it in my job.  I used to do it quite a bit when I was in grad school and when free-lancing shortly afterwards, before I won my permanent full time job, and even in public performance sometimes.  Almost never in the jazz idiom, though - just once or twice in big band rehearsals when encouraged to try.  I have also taught some of my horn students the basics of how to do it (which are the same no matter what the idiom, in fact one of those kids ended up immediately applying what I taught him to his jazz guitar playing with great success - surprised the hell out of the jazz band director at that university, who rewarded him with a couple of big features during the rest of his senior year).  So yeah, I could very easily do it to save my ass.  Am I saying I could do it like Coltrane or Frogman?  No way.  But in the classical idiom, I'm more than passable at it.  

Learsfool, improvisation is akin to conversation; what you say depends on what was said before you. Herby Hancock said he really messed up once, and Miles came in right behind him, and made everything sound perfect. The ability to do something like that comes from having done it before, and the time window to react is very short; consequently a musician who has never done it, or been required to do it, wouldn't be able to do it. There are things a classical musician is required to do, that a jazz musician would not be able to do.

"All" good musicians practice, but not incessantly; especially if they are going to engage in what amounts to fast conversation between musicians. The "only" way to practice that kind of improvisation is to do it in front of a live audience with other musicians.

Enjoy the music.