Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
And because I’m a hand percussionist / drummer, I love, love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPLIuBy9CY

And no, it's not jazz.  Like jazz though, the music has form, structure and room for improvisation. 

Enjoy,

bob
Once again, the OP makes comments about the process of making music, in this case improvisation and practice, that are incorrect or only partially correct. I am not "on a mission" to prove him wrong as he has said previously, I simply think that it is important to set the record straight about these issues since this is a music thread after all. The comments are made with a sense of authority and with the apparent backing of musicians. In this most recent case the problem is that the comments are tantamount to saying something like "global warming is real because Einstein determined that E=MC2". Huh? Sorry, O-10, but you don’t have it correct. I encourage you try and understand the process better and would be glad to help you with that. Several comments have been made already by other posters that are good and partial explanations. In the meantime, jzzmusician’s comment about practicing improvisation is spot on and explains very well why improvisation can be and must be practiced IN ORDER TO ALLOW the musician to be spontaneous when he is actually performing. Improvisation CAN be "akin to conversation" (Bill Evans and Scott LaFaro pioneered the "conversational" style of improvisation with their classic trios; but, that is a particular style of improvisation and improvisation is usually akin to a monologue with the support of the other musicians and certainly not "dependent" on what came before it. Again, it CAN be influenced by what came before it, but certainly not "dependent" on it.

O-10, in some respects you are on the right track re "the process" and its always a positive thing to actually think about these things. The problem here is the incompleteness and absolutism with how you view these topics. As someone very wise once said: a little information is a dangerous thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t-vItf0G05M

THAT was Herbie’s comment. A great example of a musician (Miles) with fantastic musical instincts and ears; and SUPPORT of the spontaneous process. I suppose one could say there is something "akin to conversation" in that example, but it is, more than anything, an expression of Miles’ overall musical attitude of "go with the moment" and emblematic of his attitude for always accepting and reaching something new. Herbie played a wrong chord, had Miles not previously "practiced" playing over that type of (wrong) chord, that moment would not have been possible. That knowledge became part of his arsenal which he could draw upon in order to be spontaneous.

Frogman, the only thing you're trying to do around here is to establish you're self as the "Alpha musician"; that's what the "Alpha wolf" does.

What do you think a jam session is? Why were jazz musicians constantly seeking "Jam sessions", especially musicians like Miles, who was a leader in "hard bop". "My Friend" did not need to practice when that's what he was doing in front of a live audience; now give me one of your "Phaking the Phunk" comments after that. He was a real live "hard bop" musician, and that's what it says in the record book, not a phaking the phunk kind who pounces on my statements even when they are 100% correct.

Enjoy the music.

Not only that, but you put in some more jive bs that will blend in with Learsfool's jive bs.

Herbie played a wrong chord, had Miles not previously "practiced" playing over that type of (wrong) chord, that moment would not have been possible. That knowledge became part of his arsenal which he could draw upon in order to be spontaneous.

If that ain't some jive BS I don't know what is; but it matches Learsfool's jive BS about practicing improvisation, which is "impossible"; that's like saying you're going to practice a "tennis match" without anyone on the other side of the net.

You have gone so far with your "diatribes" (that are not supposed to be diatribes to prove me wrong) that it's gotten to be a habit.

Call him out on this "aficionados", and maybe he'll quit.

Enjoy the music.