Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Water Music:
You would not believe how many performances of this music I own.  I love it.  I like this one even better after seeing the video.

My first, and still my favorite, was by The Academy of Ancient Music with Christopher Hogwood.  Still has the Tag from The German store where I bought it.  Radio Pruy, 35.80 DM.

Marvis Staples:

Gotta have it!!  She hit most of the Anthems of the Civil Rights Movement.  All very well done.  Born in Chicago, which is not her fault, and since Pops Staples was from Mississippi, she is authorized.

Questions to The Frogman:

I 'stumbled' upon this on youtube.  Surely I wouldn't seek out Stravinsky. :)

This is a HUGE orchestra.  They have at least 8 horn players.  Does the music dictate this?

When the players have to turn the pages of the music,  is any consideration given, during the printing of the sheet music, to what is being played by a particular instrument at the end of the page?  IOW, would the sheet come to an end in the middle of a very difficult passage?

I noticed the violin player sitting next to the Principal, stopped playing, to turn the page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UJOaGIhG7A
ouch!!  posted too soon.   The clip is at the very bottom.  I wanted to Add -- if a player stops playing to turn the page, is just assumed that player's part will not be played for those few measures?

Cheers

Frogman, That was some of the most moving music I've heard. That kind of social interest and motivation that existed then is dead and buried.

If you want to understand the "antagonist", the people responsible for the social injustice, read "The Collected Short Stories of Eudora Welty". That woman understood southerners better than they understood themselves.

Eudora Welty was born in Jackson, Mississippi in 1909, and died in 2001; she lived a long time, and she spent all that time observing and writing mostly about Southerners. Not until you truly understand what motivated Southerners, can you truly understand their actions.

She could illustrate in her short stories, better than anyone else I've read, how people in Mississippi were raised from the cradle to the grave, in a fashion that motivated them to do the things they did.

I really enjoyed the music.
Stravinsky "Sacre":  One of the very greatest 20th century works.  Amazing piece of music!  Huge orchestra.  Yes, the music dictates that; that is how the composer scored it.  As you say, eight horns; and, two of them double on Wagner tubas.  Two of the trumpets double on bass (!) trumpet.  This is a brilliant piece of orchestration genius and definitely not a case of "let's throw everything in there but the kitchen sink" resulting in many fantastic colors and textures.  As an aside: this being a work written for a ballet and ballet orchestras having to be in a pit, there is a version of this work (done by Stravinsky himself) for reduced orchestra in order for the musicians to fit into the typically smaller space in a pit.

Good question re the printing of the music.  That is one of the jobs of a good editor and printer (publisher), to account for precisely what you describe.  It is the bane of every player's existence when a publisher does NOT do that and the music is printed in such a way that you have to turn the page in the middle of a passage.  They usually try and have the music at the end of a page end with a rest.  What you saw from the violinists is standard protocol; the stand partner turns while the other player keeps playing.

BTW, Van Sweden will be the NY Phil's next music director beginning 2017.
This amounts to a Classical Jam session.  I love the facial expressions and antics of the Soloist, The Principal, and the female cellist.

Notice how the Soloist and the Principal communicate without words. She seems to be watching the Bow of the Soloist. 
Love it!!!  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzE-kVadtNw

Thanks for the info on printing scores.

***** Stravinsky "Sacre":  One of the very greatest 20th century works.  Amazing piece of music!  *****

A simple "nice clip" would have sufficed.

Cheers