Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
****Frogman, you really like to fit square pegs into round holes; "All I have to do is chisel off the corners, and I got a perfect fit"***

Not at all.  The first problem with that comment is that you somehow equated "commonality of CORE values" with "perfect fit".  The good stuff in understanding why the two things are completely different.

Now, this is good; really good.  I am being sincere, O-10; really good!  What am I talking about?  OK:

I welcome your comments.  You expressed your viewpoint and I can agree or disagree; and, as far as I am concerned, there then is the potential for interesting dialogue.  However, it needs to be pointed out that there were three options for me:

1. I could just ignore the comment; what some might say is taking the high road (how boring).

2. I could retort, as I did, and hope for the mature, uncontentious, hopefully interesting dialogue.  Or:

3. I could react by saying something like (and I will quote someone):

"Why are you directing that BS at me" or
"I was having a dialogue that you had no business joining" or
"You're drinking the Kool-aid" or
"You're just talking smack" or
"You're phaking the phunk" or
"Why are you always ready to pounce on me" or, or, or

In the interest of better and more mature dialogue, O-10, I hope you get my drift.  I prefer #2.  

Regards.

Frogman, I thought you were making more of a humorous statement than a serious one, and square pegs into round holes was meant to be humorous.

I am not in a rancorous mood, and have no intention of getting into one; you're going to have to play this match with no one on the other side of the net.

Enjoy the music.

Lee Morgan recorded prolifically from 1956 until a day before his death in February 1972. His primary stylistic influence was Clifford Brown, with whom he took a few lessons as a teenager. He began recording for Blue Note Records in 1956, eventually recording 25 albums as a leader. In 1958 he joined the Messengers, and was the featured trumpet on "Moanin", their best selling album.

After his commercial success of "The Sidewinder", Blue Note encouraged it's other artist to emulate it's "Boogaloo" beat. According to drummer Billy Hart, Morgan said he had recorded "The Sidewinder" as filler for the album, and was bemused that it had turned into his biggest hit. He felt that his playing was much more advanced on Grachan Moncur III's essentially avant-garde Evolution album, recorded a month earlier, on November 21, 1963.

In my opinion, formula and jazz don't mix, you're heading for a jazzwreck. Fortunately Morgan didn't listen too well, because he recorded "Search For The New Land" in 64 which is definitely not formula, but some of the finest jazz in my collection.

Lee Morgan recorded so prolifically that I don't have a large portion of his works; normally I would scrutinize each individual album before purchase, but this time I'm going to see what I ain't got and get it. There are two things I'm concerned about, that's recording quality and music; his large box set has so much music that I can't go wrong there, and if the recording quality is not the best, I can re-purchase the one's I like most.

Here is a link that will prove invaluable in helping you to fill in the gaps in your Lee Morgan collection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Morgan_discography

Enjoy the music.

Lee Morgan is a player I would be very interested in discussing and learning more about.  I only have a few of the albums he is on, and I don't think I have any that he is the leader on.  I would love to hear what everyone's favorite albums of his are.  
Loving the discussion of classical.  When I invite a friend over for serious listening we always start with jazz.  I play a cut, he plays a cut, etc.  Then we find the blues, a little r&b and then classical.  Sometimes opera and then make our way back to jazz.

I've been fortunate enough to have had friends that teach jazz at the college level and very often they will ask their student in a jazz band to "sing their part."  This is done for a variety of reasons I won't go into here.

Bobby McFerrin takes this to a whole new level.  This is a fun clip.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klc6nH8E_Qw

And for those that are curious; some of my favorite classical composers are Steve Reich, George Rochberg, Schoenberg and Frank Zappa.