Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Thanks, Rok. Thanks Frogman.

What I remember is closer to the photo Frogman found (used on Disc 3 of the box set, I guess) though I don’t recall the funky Hawaiian shirt he’s wearing. I looked at the release versions listed in AllMusic (and on Discogs) but did not see a vinyl version that matched that photo. Maybe my memory of the album cover is faulty.  I am certain it was Live at the Lighthouse and something I had on vinyl.

Rok interesting to note there were 2 different Lee Morgan albums called, "Live at the Lighthouse" but one has ’70 in the title. The one with ’70 in the title is kind of bogus. It was NOT actually recorded at the Lighthouse but rather at another SanFran club ("Both/And" according to a reviewer on Amazon) some weeks before the Lighthouse dates. That is the $20 CD on A’zon but it is NOT the one to get, apparently. Sound quality is reportedly bad. 3CD box set from the Lighthouse dates is the one to get...used for around $60. (I see that $587 version...maybe it’s a typo!...misplaced decimal).

FWIW - Spotify has the 3 CD box set version. They also have "Search for the New Land" Orpheus mentioned. Gonna be checking that later.  The "more abstract" comment he made is intriguing.  

Thanks to you both for looking.

Ghosthouse, more abstract jazz is not for the casual listener, but those who can go into another zone with the musician. As a rule those albums don't sell well, but musicians make them for artistic sake, or their own soul satisfaction.

For example, "Search For The New Land", could easily be set to choreography; you can even visualize movement as they search for a new life, which is the deeper meaning.

lee Morgan was not a mental lightweight, and the even more abstract music he made with Grachan Moncur III was an indication of his deeper search in his music; in this case Grachan Moncur's music.

Grachan Moncur's "Evolution" is for those who listen intently, and become involved in the music, the lineup gives an indication of this: Grachan Moncur III (trombone); Jackie McLean (alto saxophone); Lee Morgan (trumpet); Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone); Bob Cranshaw (bass); Tony Williams (drums).

Enjoy the music.
****I said it once, and I'll say it again, he should have stopped before he got this far out because he was pleasing no one but himself as far as I can see; but I know you being the "alpha musician", scratch that "the consummate musician" can enlighten us farther, and explain how this was the way to go.**** - O-10

This question re Coltrane was asked by O-10.  We can skip the "alpha" and "consummate" parts; I am neither and have no interest in more rancor.  I bring this up ONLY in the interest of interesting discussion.  I never answered the question because I felt it was laced with sarcasm; we can skip that part too, it's ok.  I bring it up to answer the question; actually, to point out that O-10, himself, has answered it:

****more abstract jazz is not for the casual listener, but those who can go into another zone with the musician. As a rule those albums don't sell well, but musicians make them for artistic sake, or their own soul satisfaction.**** - O-10

The real question is: where do we draw the line and declare that the work is too abstract?  We can't.

***** The real question is: where do we draw the line and declare that the work is too abstract?  We can't.*****

Aficionados can't, but we of the Great Unwashed Can.   And do.

Cheers