Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Grachun Moncur III is an artist I can only vaguely remember; he could only be found in "aficionados" collections that were so deep into the music, that they functioned as libraries, no, not mine; although I have heard of him.

He is an American trombonist that was born in New York. When he was 11 he attended a private school where Dizzy Gillespie had studied. While still at school he began sitting in with touring jazz musicians on their way through town, including Art Blakey and Jackie McLean, with whom he formed a lasting friendship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grachan_Moncur_II

Sometime when I can't find anything that appeals to me with a musician as leader, I do a whole lot better looking him up as a sideman.

Herbie Hancock. "My Point of View"

"Blind Man, Blind Man" – 8:19
"A Tribute to Someone" – 8:45
"King Cobra" – 6:55
"The Pleasure Is Mine" – 4:03
"And What If I Don't" –

Personnel
Herbie Hancock – piano
Donald Byrd – trumpet
Grachan Moncur III – trombone
Hank Mobley – tenor saxophone
Grant Green – guitar
Chuck Israels – bass
Tony Williams – drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9UZWDAoUZk

As well as I like Pepper Adams baritone sax, I don't have anything with him as leader that I like; it might be the same way with Grachun Moncur, that's why if you like this tune, you can help me look.

Enjoy the music.

I completely agree with your sentiments, comments and examples, ghosthouse; and  they go precisely to what I was saying with my comment about not being able to draw the line.  You also used two key words and considerations around the issue of "abstract": structure and dissonance.  While it could be said that "Search For T N L" is "more abstract" than, say, "The Sidewinder" it is not a record that I personally would put on the "abstract" shelf in my record cabinet.  The point is simply that to draw the line as an absolute is pointless; it is different for every listener and where we each draw it is not necessarily an indication of the ultimate value of the music.  As Rok said, of course we can and do draw the line, but it serves little purpose to draw the line as an absolute other than to help us validate our individual biases and limitations as listeners.  It is much more productive to keep the door open to more growth as a listener.  Not necessarily to accept or like the music, but to not shut the door to the possibility of being able to understand it and maybe even like it one day; and to better appreciate certain aspects of the music we already like.

Ghosthouse, I found "Search For The New Land" accessible as well, if I said it I'm getting ahead of myself, when I meant "Evolution" with Grachun Moncur.

"Search For The New Land" I suppose was abstract when compared to "Side Winder". No Ghosthouse, you're not mixing anything up; having said that, I think we should go into what I consider "abstract" and it would indeed include Grachun Moncur's music as leader.

Frogman, I'm not writing for "Down Beat" I'm writing for my taste, and how it sounded to me. Music is not "objective" like science or mathematics, it's very subjective, and whether one is a professor of music, or just a casual listener, that doesn't change. I can easily declare the work too abstract for me.

Let us all address "The Olatunji Concert" which my statement was specifically based on. I said this is what Trane sounded like in 63, after he had carried the tune beyond what it was on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjDrkTmqxQk

Enjoy the music.

This is what I was referring to by Grachun Moncur III, as being abstract, although this particular cut is quite accessible for me, but there are other cuts on this same LP that are abstract.

I was going through his music, since I don't have anything by him as leader. In general some of his music is quite abstract as I would define it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiHdgDK3LpE&list=RDBiHdgDK3LpE

This is a fine tune on this album which I will order.

Enjoy the music.