Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

If Eric Dolphy's "Out To Lunch" ain't abstract, grits ain't grocery, eggs ain't poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man.

Some of my favorite musicians are crazy about "Eric Dolphy"; it must have been his personality. If I owned this record, I would leave it at a friends house, and give him a ring when I wanted to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09BWkpVv74

That guy can mess up anything; that was one of my favorite tunes, and look what he done did to it.

Enjoy the music.
"If Eric Dolphy's "Out To Lunch" ain't abstract, grits ain't grocery, eggs ain't poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man."

O - Okay!  So Out to Lunch is a good example of "abstract" to both of us.

"Some of my favorite musicians are crazy about 'Eric Dolphy'; it must have been his personality. If I owned this record, I would leave it at a friends house, and give him a ring when I wanted to hear it."

That's pretty funny.  And I appreciate your candor.  
I want to like Dolphy because people I think know more than I do say there's something there.  BUT he's a real tough listen for me.  Something I have to work at.  Eventually (maybe) with enough listening what he's doing will start to sink in - but not without work.  The opposite of  accessible!  And time being short, got to ask...is it worth the effort?That's rhetorical.

My bro-in-law is a gifted musician.  Runs a "boutique" studio blah blah blah.  Bottom line...I respect his o-pinion.  Long time ago he had this Brecker Bros. album.  Don't recall the name but it sure wasn't the Beatles Love Me Do.  Weird time signatures and complex rhythms.   I remember him describing it to me as "musician's music".  High technical content...not too much for the layperson to grab onto right away.  That's kind of how I see (hear) Dolphy.  By the way though, sound quality on the Rudy Van Gelder remastered version on Spotify is really good.  Some very interesting percussion sounds.  I'm guessing it was a very good recording from the get go.  

Ghosthouse, one of my friends like's free jazz, and every time these musicians come to town, he gives me a ring; fortunately, we've been friends for a very long time, so I go pick him up, with earplugs; but "free Jazz" should be free, you shouldn't have to pay for it.

I've been through what you're talking about in regard to that musician, and I always say the "politically correct things one should say in order not to offend" (it's easier that way), but I still don't like snails and raw oysters, nor will I make an attempt to eat them. Music I don't like is no different than snails or raw oysters.

Enjoy the music.

The Last Session.
Studio album by Lee Morgan
Released May 1972
Recorded September 17-18, 1971
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs

The Last Session (also released as Lee Morgan) is the final studio album by jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan before his death in 1972. It was originally released on the Blue Note label in 1972 as a double LP, and features performances by Morgan, Grachan Moncur III, Bobbi Humphrey, Billy Harper, Harold Mabern, Reggie Workman, Jymie Merritt and Freddie Waits.

The Allmusic review by Michael G. Nastos awarded the album 4 stars stating "It is unfortunate that the brilliant and forward-thinking Morgan was cut down at such a young age, for as the music was changing, he would have adapted, as this final statement valiantly suggests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZEKscACnlw&list=PL1D7B1AA9A8561D27&index=2

Ghosthouse, this is another boss album I don't have. Out of curiosity, are you still into LP's, I bet this wax would be nice.

Enjoy the music.