Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, here's one of your favorite artists Chick Corea, him and "Return To Forever" put out some good music that I still listen to.

Flora Purim – vocals, percussion
Joe Farrell – soprano saxophone, flute
Chick Corea – electric piano, Fender Rhodes
Stanley Clarke – acoustic bass, electric bass
Airto Moreira – drums, percussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAYUfuJW18U

Flora Purim never sounded better. Here's another one by "Return to Forever"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHVNIqbncrM

It was a girl who told me to buy three albums: "Hymn of The Seventh Galaxy";
"Sextant" by Herby Hancock, and "Black Market" by Weather Report. I had never heard "fusion" before then; this music was astounding, like nothing I had ever heard, and to think "a girl" recommended this, wonders never cease.

Enjoy the music.

Fusion did / does not pass the 'CD TEST'.  IOW, I replaced all my favorite LPs with CDs.   Fusion did not make that cut.   I have all the Weather Report and Crusaders and all that stuff on LP.   None of it on CD.  That is the best way to find out what you really like.

There are exceptions, like 'Bitches Brew'.  It's noise, but it's significant noise, from an important player in Jazz.

If the word 'electric' appears in the notes, don't click on "place your order"!!

I have Santana's big three.  They were very big on the German / European disco scene.  But, disco is gone, so is my interest in Santana.

And Lastly, what exactly, is the point of 'fusion'?   Why weren't other types of music 'fused'?

If it was a way for artists to make more money, then those days / artists are gone also.  There is no longer any reason to buy it.

Cheers

Unfortunately I kind of understand what you mean; I'm looking at two tall stacks of records at this very moment, the reason they're stacked in a wrong manner is because I ran out of room, and don't know what to do with them. I understand exactly what you mean about the CD test.

Frogman's leading this parade, and I'm going to do what I can to add to it. The problem I'm having is that I don't seem to be able to add anything new, or discover anything new like we did in "Hard Bop". I was hoping you would come up with something I overlooked during that time.

My frame of mind has changed so much since then; that's the only thing I can think of that would alter my taste so much from that time until now. But we are all a part of a "Magagopolis" and when it changes so do we. It has changed drastically since then, and it hasn't been in the slow normal fashion. When I step back on to the moon and look down, I can see changes people are unaware of; especially economically.

Since how we are affected by economic changes would change the subject drastically I'll let it rest till everybody is ready.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I have discovered some music that's new to me, it's Dorothy's harp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J78y1zpHhMc

I have never before seen or heard of this album, which is rather strange since I'm a Dorothy Ashby fan from way back. I'm going to continnue to look; this CD is just over 30 minutes and cost's $24.61. That's better than $240. for one CD I looked into, but it adds up.

Enjoy the music.
Gents - If you haven't heard it, check out Alan Pasqua's "The Antisocial Club".  You might find it pertinent to your fusion "discussion" and enjoyable too.