Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Not sure why I should be weeping from reading the Wiki; but, I agree with your statement about language and culture (you can add borders to the mix).  The problem is, and we've been having this argument for quite some time, that as concerns art (music), you've got it backwards.  Art reflects the culture.  Think about it: is it any surprise that a culture that moves more and more towards the elimination of borders and away from individuality and self-reliance should see more and more "fusion" in art?  Whether the fusion is good art or not is dependent on other things.  
1972:

Miles ups the ante with "On The Corner".  One of my favorites from this period.  Love the grooves.  Some of the nastiest guitar sounds ever and Dave Liebman kills on saxophone:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLA0077F372BB485C8&v=Ps0ka1tY5yg

Herbie Hancock (Miles alum) releases this in what is an obvious hint of what is to come with the following year's seminal "Headhunters" album:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YyUvKfacrX0

And, of course, Chick Corea's "Light As A Feather".  Classic record with who, imo, was the greatest jazz flutist to ever live (great saxophonist as well), the great Joe Farrell:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_OEJ0wqt2g

frogman, on this date and time 05-10-2016 8:09pm I asked you a question that you never answered. If I ask you where you're going, you tell me where you have been. If I ask you where you have been, you tell me where you're going, but whatever the question, you never answer, but go into one of your long diatribes.

Today is 05/17/2016, that means that question was asked 7 days ago. I reworded that same question on 05/16/2016 5:43PM. on 05/16/2016 8:17 PM you pop up, back leading the parade (where have you been) since you're back leading the parade, I let you know I'm glad you're back "Leading the parade".

What do you do? you go "back" to a post written at 5:43PM, and you still don't respond to the post, but go into a rant about "political correctness".

I'm the person who brought up Santana "Abraxas", not as an illustration of fusion. On 05/15/2016 at 1:55 PM I brought up Santana to set up the time frame, and I also brought up "The Beatles" did you think that I was using them for an example of fusion as well?

I can not imagine anyone stupid enough to think Santana "Abraxas" was fusion. Why did you think that I was stupid enough to think "Abraxas" was fusion?

"I never cease to amaze you" that's funny because you don't amaze me "It's the same old Frogman" never reading anyone's post all the way through, getting whatever meaning he chooses to get out of every post, and never answering any questions directly. I've mentioned this thing about Coltrane more times than I can count, and you have yet to respond to it. All you have to do is listen to the music and tell me what you think. You have already listened to the music that I used as an example of the same music he played when I saw him live in 63, and you don't know how to answer.

Enjoy the music.

****Frogman, can you be musically and politically correct?****

Are you asking whether I can be, or are you asking whether ONE can be?  Also, what do you mean by "musically correct"?

****What is your assessment when comparing "free jazz" to what I consider is within musical bounds.****

Couldnt even begin to answer that question.  Your musical bounds are yours.  I may feel that your "bounds" are too restrictive, but they are your comfort zone, not mine.  I find value in some free jazz as long as it's not bs masquerading as jazz.   I've said it before, imo the listener should always have a certain degree of humility when trying to make an assessment like this.  What I mean is, I may not "like" a particular musical choice by an artist; however, when we're talking about an artist who is an acknowledged musical giant, as Coltrane was, to declare it "going too far" strikes me as arrogant.  I prefer to, at least for the time being, respect that artist's musical vision and leave the door open to perhaps growing to understand and maybe even like it some day.  After all, who the hell am I (or you) compared to a giant like Coltrane.  Personally, I would put my money on his judgment not mine.   Of course, not all artists merit that level of respect.

O-10, I realize that there is no hope of you ever cutting out the crap, because it’s obvious that you feel threatened by my presence on this thread. As I said before, if you’re looking for an argument please look elsewhere. I wasn’t aware that anyone here was obligated to answer every question asked of them, especially when the comments that you direct at me are often laced with sarcasm and your questions have proven to sometimes be no more that baiting. I realize that you are incapable of seeing, never mind acknowledging this, but my posts are clear, succinct and (usually) extremely well written. I don’t give a darn whether you can acknowledge that or not, but, man!, can you try a person’s patience. Try, for once, taking responsibilty for what you write and how you write it; it is often confusing and muddled. Let’s see, we were talking about fusion; and "in depth" as you requested. Then, you write this:

****Santana and "Abraxas" took over the world of music in 1970; this music could be heard everywhere I went; jazz, rock, blues establishments, no matter what the dominant genre of music in that particular lounge, something from "Abraxas" was on the jukebox. (never went to a hillbilly lounge)

Rok, you have to go back to what was happening at that time in order to re-discover fusion; I’m sure you bought at least 2 or 3 fusion albums.****

Is it that far fetched that I should think that you were using that as an example? Especially when it IS fusion; of a different kind. And if I did misconstue what you meant...so what? Why all the indignation? Get over it man!! Why don’t you try making a significant contribution to the topic YOU brought up instead of all this bs? We’re to 1973 now and I’m still waiting 😁

****I can not imagine anyone stupid enough to think Santana "Abraxas" was fusion.****

I can.