Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** Not good jazz as far as level of improvisation and interplay between the players? Seriously?*****

Interplay and improvisation can exist in non-Jazz music.  Seriously.

I think I posted a Classical piece a while back with interplay between the various instruments.

Cheers
Words matter.   I( think a pro from NYC said that on this very thread.

Cheers

Frogman, almost all genres of music relate to something that's common to a lot of people in some segment of this population; blues, "My women done left me"; jazz, hip city streets; hillbilly, rural life, mostly in the south; country and western; horses, cowboys, rodeo life; you get the picture, and you can go on and on with the different segments of the population.

"Jazz fusion"; look at the covers on the albums, and the titles; "Hymn to The Seventh Galaxy", with electronic space music; there's no way that music could stand the test of time. Music doesn't exist in a vacuum, it has to relate to something that relates to human beings in order to withstand the test of time.

Since you were enthused with "Fusion", I was certain that you could lead us to whatever we missed, and that I might be able to add something new from that genre of music.

Now that the interest is below 0, I think we should let Rok take us into whatever direction he chooses.

Enjoy the music.
I have no problem with not referring to it as fusion-jazz.  Honestly, it simplifies matters.  From now on we'll refer to it as simply fusion and I actually think that's pretty much how it's been so far. I don't think the other way degrades anything; but, hey, if it makes you happy.....How's that? 😎
***** Now that the interest is below 0, I think we should let Rok take us into whatever direction he chooses.*****

Back to the future!!!   Jelly Roll here we come!!!

Cheers