Why does my 35 watt tube amp draw 300 watts of power

Hi,

I have a Prima Luna Prologue 1 (tube amp). Love it.

Always been curious though. It draws 300 watts of power, yet is rated at 35 watts / channel. Is it really so inefficient that it is losing 230 watts to heat?

~Jim
128x128jimspov
I have a Prima Luna Prologue 1 (tube amp). Love it.

Always been curious though. It draws 300 watts of power, yet is rated at 35 watts / channel. Is it really so inefficient that it is losing 230 watts to heat?

Tubes.

Heater current. Volts X amps = watts.

The way I look at it these days, Class A (many tube or some SS amps, very inefficient) or Class D are the two pure approaches to consider at each end of the power consumption spectrum.   Then there is Class A/B which most SS amps are, that prior to Class D was teh technology used to improve power consumption and retain "quality sound"   Some will argue Class A/B is a compromise approach  ( I might tend to agree) that might still yield very good results but not as easily or as often as Class A.

IMHO, in general, these days, I would rather go with either Class A or Class D amps for pure sound quality.  Either done well and matched to the right gear can deliver top notch performance, subject still to personal tastes as always. 

Class D is fairly mature these days and offers a nice bundle of value and performance in a small package that will appeal to many. 

Class A amps, will tend to be larger and cost more to operate but some may still see the value if its "that sound" they like and cannot find elsewhere.

Mapman, 
Well said and summarized. Choice is indeed a beautiful thing. 
Charles, 
Tube amps are only 5% efficient.
We can easily see from the opening post of this thread that the above statement is false. If you can get two channels of 35 watts from 300 watts of wall power, clearly the amp must be more like 20% efficient, in this case 23.33% efficient, which falls within the norm for many tube amps.