VPI TNT Turntables

Many years ago I owned a VPI HW-19 Jr turntable + Sumiko Premier FT arm, which I soon replaced with a Merrill Heirloom + ET2. After may years of digital reproduction, I wish to go back to analog reproduction and I would like to buy a VPI TNT with, again, the ET2 arm. Unfortunately (or fortunately), many models/upgrades exist for TNT. Therefore, I would be very grateful if some experts of TNTs could describe the sound/performance variation from TNT Jr to most recent ones so as to help me in my choice. 

Thank you very much!

Luca
luca58
"Analogluvr- The one upgrade I would not do without is the flywheel, whether you have one or two motors. "

What was the biggest improvement you perceived when using a flywheel?
"What was the biggest improvement you perceived when using a flywheel?"

Quite similar to the improvement gained by using a speed controller. More of the same.

luca58,

Just two additional points.  Another source of information, if you have not found it yet, is the VPI forum:  http://vpiindustries.com/forum/index.php

The VPI TNT you will find is probably going to be a used unit since they are no longer being manufactured, though there is a bit of new old stock around.  Therefore it may be useful to seek forum advice about a specific unit offered, its playing potential and its upgrade potential.

Also, since most advertised VPI turntables come with an arm, perhaps you should give that arm a careful listen before replacing it.  VPI arms are generally well thought of and the newer 3D arms are the best yet.

Finally there are many disagreements regarding the best platters, the best bearings, weights, etc.  You will get may different and opposing opinions

analogluvr,

I went from the spring suspension directly to the squash ball one and it was a noticeable and trouble free improvement.  (Though HW says that the squash balls give only 95% of the benefit of the air bladders.)
"Melm-  Quite similar to the improvement gained by using a speed controller. More of the same. "

That's interesting.  A 12 lb 3" flywheel has less than 4% of the inertia of a 20 lb 12" platter; it's difficult to see how that would have much of an effect on speed stability.  Maybe it's the additional isolation of having 2 belts, but then you double down on belt creep.  Any thoughts as to what is causing the change in perceived sound?