Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The surgeon that performed the first, or one of the first heart transplants in this country, had this music piped into the operating room as he performed the transplant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv35zFXXLGM

Cheers
Rok, that sure sounds good, I completely missed that one.  This is what I'm talking about when I say you think you got it all, when something by one of your favorite musicians pops up that you never heard before.

Enjoy the music.

One of my favorite vocal albums is one I've been listening to a lot lately; it's "Film Noir" which was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Performance. This album is by Carly Simon, who has been all over the place in regard to musical genres. This album, Carly Simon and her vocals seem to bring a part of my past alive, and back to the present. Have you ever heard a song, or an album that you felt was made especially for you; every song in this album reaches me in that manner.

The very first cut on this album grabbed me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0wta3xkqJo&list=PLF8ORYKG1eEqjPegl49CHYc_Scqa40vDm

It's like when you were with one woman but thinking about another, and this other woman seemed to have the audacity to be looking over your shoulder and telling you "You Won't Forget Me".

Fortunately this album comes with a video, I think you'll like it.

Enjoy the music.