Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Fantastic interview clips, Acman3.  They should be required watching for all on this thread; the Crouch/Mtume debate in particular.  Here's part two of that:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtaxon9t5g

Its late so I'll check out and comment on the music clips tomorrow.

Thanks! 
Frogman wrote - "What the purists don’t want to accept is that you can’t stop the evolution of the art form (any art form); it is always a reflection of the times. The purist thinks that he is "protecting" the art form by blanketly (?) rejecting the new. I think Wynton can take much credit for keeping the flame of tradition alive. However, one has to ask oneself the question? Ultimately, what does the most damage to art in the overall scheme of things? To try to keep the flame of tradition alive by rejecting the new directions that the art form takes; directions which are a natural part of its process. Or, to accept the new directions with the knowledge that accepting the new doesn’t have to mean forgetting about tradition, while holding the new up to the same standars for defining excellence. By doing the latter, what you end up doing is bringing a larger and younger audience to the art form who will end up discovering the traditional. There is always room for the new and the old, and excellence is not defined by whether it is new or whether it is old. "

Well said, Frogman. Great counterpoint to Wynton’s position and one, personally, that I tend to believe..."art will evolve" whether I want it to or not.

Acman thanks for the Jean Luc Ponty links. I had liked his playing with Zappa but limited sampling of his solo stuff (Cosmic Messenger?) just sounded awfully dated to me. On the other hand, the Blue Note recording (available on Amazon and I will order) did not. Seemed fresh. The King Kong it opens with is one of my favorite pieces from Zappa (to the uninitiated, see KK Variations on Uncle Meat). Thanks much.

Orpheus very much enjoying your Didier Lockwood link. Have forwarded to to family. My sister is a classically trained violinist but lately interested in other forms (Grappelli music book on the stand in their music room).