Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, you flatter yourself.  I agree that what is stereotypical to one person may be something else to another person; back to that in a moment.  Let's get this one out of the way:

You are absolutely correct, having points of disagreements is not "throwing rocks"; but, as usual, you misconstrue what the issue was and is.  The throwing of rocks (which was your phrase, btw) was not and is not having  points of disagreement; it is the style and attitude used while disagreeing.  You tend to have a very provocative style as demonstrated by your unnecessary reference to me in a discussion that I had no part in; and your admonition that I "not post that CC is fiction".   Why do you make the assumption that I would?  If you cannot understand that that comment/admonition is provocative then I can't help you further.  THAT was the "first stone thrown" by you that I referred to; and what you often do btw, as exemplified by the fact that here we are, after many new and  interesting posts and comments about music, and you choose to, instead of moving on, to bring up that nonsense again.  I rest my case.  

Now, what is "stereotypical"?  Who knows?  You coined the phrase.  It probably means something different to each of us.  My comment was simply that Wynton's playing did not fit MY definition of "stereotypical"; a silly notion to begin with.  It is meaningless to throw out vague terms like that at the exclusion of some substantive description of what is meant.  Concerning my comment re Wynton the great irony is that it is the absence of a strong sense of what the "stereotypical" hallmarks of good jazz improvisation are that are missing in his playing.  Additionally, and even more ironic given the recent discussion is that one of the most discernible and interesting influences in his playing (particularly his early recordings) is.....are you ready?......Miles.  How ironic is that?

Now, your self-flattery.  

****that's because the other person hasn't heard as much jazz, consequently, what's old hat to me, is new to you, and you don't recognize it as "stereotypical"****

The obvious retort is "how do you know" that I haven't listened to as much jazz?  O-10, if you feel the need to pump yourself up by thinking that yours is bigger than mine I couldn't care less; but, I assure you that Panonica would not agree 😜.  And this claim coming from someone who proudly admits to not having or having had any interest in pre-swing, swing, big band jazz, any "before Bird" jazz.  Yikes!

1976 coming up.

Frogman, you are one of the most interesting individuals I have ever encountered.

You tend to have a very provocative style as demonstrated by your unnecessary reference to me in a discussion that I had no part in; and your admonition that I "not post that CC is fiction". Why do you make the assumption that I would?

Frogman, you thought I confused "Like Young" as classical music in a post that was meant for "Learsfool", plus you understood that I thought "Santana" was fusion in a post that wasn't meant for you. I thought I would head you off at the pass, (so to speak) in regard to CC.

"Stereotypical" can have a number of different meanings depending on who's using it and how it's used. When I use it I'm referring to jazz "cliches" that have been used over and over again. Since you are a musician, you should be able to recognize them better than me.

Presuming that I've heard more jazz than you is possibly a bit of self flattery, but it would depend on our age differences and how much we listen to jazz. Since you also listen to classical, we have to eliminate that portion of your time. In regard to all the different chronology of jazz, I'm guilty, but since I spend more time, I'll call it a wash.

While this is much to do about nothing, it's been a dull boring day anyway.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I hate when somebody misses one of my jokes, especially when it's meant for them; consequently I'll have to tell this one over again. The joke was not about the narrator of the event, but the event itself, and I asked you "Who does this remind you of"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bF5yqfaYVw

Enjoy the music.