Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Acman, I still have that LP, bought it new when it came out; that music is related to Tibetan Buddhism. I liked the LP so much that I put it on my computer play list and never bought the CD.

Enjoy the music.

Acman, you can not add or subtract anything from your past. In regard to music, I never make a conscious decision; what I'm saying is, I hear with my inner ear, my soul; and if the music resonates, I buy it; if it doesn't, I leave it be; it's just that simple.

I don't view music the same way I view food, like this is healthy and that's not. I don't make any conscious decision at all; it's yes or no made by my inner ear.

Enjoy the music.
Rok, you and O-10 still don’t get it: THE GENRE DOESNT MATTER! Is it good music or not? That’s what matters; and whether it is good music or not does not depend on whether any one of us likes it or not. Now, a few clarifications:

Enthused? I am enthused by any good music in any genre. It was O-10 who brought up fusion as a genre to explore. And, yes, contrary to what he said after the fact, he suggested exploring the genre even before determining (unbeknownst to me) that it is I who should "lead". Anyone who really cares to verify this timeline need only go back over O-10’s posts. But, thats not really important, I really don’t care about any of that and O-10 and I don’t need to argue about that as far as I am concerned. I saw it (somewhat reluctantly) as an opportunity to explore a new genre and share and discuss some interesting music. O-10 then decided (I think for reasons that are not really important to discuss as far as I am concerned) that the discussion should be ended. I was already in, let’s say, a fusion frame of mind and so decided to continue exploring it. So, what’s the bottom line? :

****Good grief!!! They’re everywhere, they’re everywhere!!!!****

Pretty good bottom line if you ask me. I hope this doesn’t rub anyone the wrong way, but it needs to be said: Good grief!!! How many times do we need to hear about Grant Green!!! Again, bottom line: new music, interesting discussions/debates, new posters. Not too shabby! The big picture:

From my vantage point it is incredible that a listener cannot "find something good to say about fusion". There’s bad fusion just like there is bad jazz of the "ding, ding-a-ding, ding, ding-a-ding" type that is what is mostly discussed here. So what? But, to not be able to appreciate at least SOME of what a tour de force like "Romantic Warrior" has to offer is a shame. The level of craft is astounding and the level of the compositional values is outstanding; there is much to appreciate even if we much prefer other genres. To me, it’s far more productive and positive to, instead of saying, "the 70s were a bad year for music", to instead say "I can’t relate to the music of the 70s"; keeps the door open to growth. But that’s just me; and for whatever it may be worth to anyone else, it’s also the attitude of the overwhelming majority of musicians.

****One never knows............ Do one?****

You haven’t been paying attention.

Btw, O-10, I’m NOT picking on you, I just think one should be careful about making comments that are not factual. First of all, "My Spanish Heart" IS fusion; and Corea didn’t "dump" fusion at all after that recording. Check out his Elektrik Band recordings.

1977 coming up soon.
Frogman,

Thanks for posting Romantic Warrior.  Haven't listened to it in a long time and had forgotten how much I liked the album. 

My jazz began with Frank Sinatra, Oscar Peterson, Erroll Garner and Louis Armstrong. (when he played more than he sang).  I started playing drums in grade school and by the time I got to high school I was listening to Miles Davis and Frank Zappa. 

Chick Corea, Herbie, and Weather Report exploded, (at least to me) on the scene when I was in high school and because I was living near Seattle I got to hear them live many times.  It was a great time to love music.

One of the many aspects I like about fusion, (and a lot of jazz for that matter) is that the song "develops."  With a lot of pop you know everything about the song in the first 16 bars, maybe 8.  It's one of the reasons I like the Beatles, (and others) so much; their song develop and change throughout.

I have also been blessed with extreme difficulty understanding lyrics.  In other words, I hear the human voice as an instrument. 

I remember one morning listening to Weather Report.  I had been married all of 2 days and my wife and I were still getting to know each other.  It was about 7 in the morning and I've got my stereo playing "Black Market" and was playing along, intensely on a kitchen pot.  It was the nearest instrument. 

Count me in as a member of the "I like fusion" club.

Bob

And we're still married.  29 years this August.