Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** One of the many aspects I like about fusion, (and a lot of jazz for that matter) is that the song "develops." *****

Interesting.   I always felt just the opposite about Fusion.  Just a collection of unrelated and unconnected sounds.  If it had a beginning, middle and ending, with all the players providing mutual support, if might be considered Jazz.  As it is, O-10 nailed it.   The title of the tunes and the album covers tell you all you need to know.

The Frogman pointed out on one of the JALC clips, how one soloist picked up and continued the theme by repeating the last musical phrase the previous soloist played.  I didn't hear anything  approaching that on the Chick Corea record.  Incoherent.

Cheers
rok,

thank you for your impressions.  Do you feel the same way about Weather Report, Herbie Hancock or Miles Davis during the same time period? 

Just curious, not trying to start a battle.

Bob

Rok, the most rewarding foray into new music was Mary Lou Willliams, and to think, I did not have one single record of hers in my collection; that would have been a tragic oversight of mine, if we had not gone exploring.

I always "assumed"; there's that word that makes an ass out of you and me; that her music was old, and related to a genre of jazz that (may the jazz Gods forgive me) I could live without; but the truth was so far removed from my assumption, that I enjoy her music more than anyone else in my collection.

Her music is so down to earth and easy to listen to. I don't think we're ever going to be so fortunate again, but we can't go anywhere until Frogman performs the final rites over the "Fusion beast". Although it wouldn't hurt to think about where we go next.

What happened after "Fusion"? Grover Washington was hot, so was "Spyro Gyro". here's "Morning Dance" in case you've forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDZ5UY_oDw

Just speculating on what's next.

Enjoy the music.

O-10, the last thing I want you to do is lie about any of this; your honesty is far more interesting. "Obsession": please allow me to remind you that it was you who wanted to go into fusion "in depth". Once again the problem is that there is no grasp of just how deep this stuff (any music) runs and you talk about it as if you do grasp it.

Rok, I expected better from you. From the standpoint of logic alone, since it was I who pointed out to you what you describe about one soloist picking up where the other left off, something I did because you were not capable of hearing (recognizing) it for yourself, does it not follow that you should perhaps, just perhaps, give some (just a tinzy wins y bit) of credence to what I am now saying about this music? Makes sense to me. Now, let’s put logic aside and let’s look at the facts of the matter:

A soloist picking up where the other left off was an example of just ONE solo in that JALC example. It is ONE way that a soloist can start a solo, and a good and interesting way, but NOT the only way. If that were the only valid way then you can go ahead and deem about 90% of the "jazz-jazz" solos posted in this thread as bs; not a reasonable proposition, I am sure you would agree. The majority of great solos don’t do that. Now, the really good stuff:

The reason that you didn’t hear that particular solo technique (and, yes, it IS the dreaded "technique") in the Corea music, and assuming your perception abilities have increased dramatically since the JALC clip was posted (if so, you’re very welcome, btw) is that in the Chick Corea music most of the music is "through-composed" (Wiki, look it up). That is what I meant when I said that the music should be approached like a symphony. Much of what you hear in that music is not improvised; it is part of the composition and within the framework of that composition there is room for improvised solos. In that way, it is like Duke’s jazz suites with "movements" within which and between which the soloists improvise. The soloists don’t follow each other in the more typical and simpler way, so there would be no opportunity for the soloists to even do what you point to. Apparently you thought that what was part of the composition was soloing. Now, the REALLY important stuff:

Sadly, not much new. Wholesale panning of an entire genre that, obviously, many on his thread find value in; and, instead of simply expressing dislike it is put down in insulting ways. Nice.

And btw, Johnny Dodds, Dexter, Martial Solal (!!) and others as well and nary a peep. Go figure.

1977 coming up.

This is a tune that really impressed me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dnIBKw4d84

Maybe we start at a given point in time, (past fusion) and everybody select favorite tunes for that year, just a thought.

Enjoy the music.