Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

This is a record that's on my play list right today. I bought it new and never got the CD, don't even know if it's on CD. I never got enough of this record. It came out in 77.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buFUP2LvK2s

Enjoy the music.

***** the Chick Corea music most of the music is "through-composed" (Wiki, look it up). That is what I meant when I said that the music should be approached like a symphony. Much of what you hear in that music is not improvised; it is part of the composition and within the framework of that composition there is room for improvised solos. In that way, it is like Duke’s jazz suites with "movements" within which and between which the soloists improvise. The soloists don’t follow each other in the more typical and simpler way, so there would be no opportunity for the soloists to even do what you point to. Apparently you thought that what was part of the composition was soloing. Now, the REALLY important stuff:*****

Explaining something does not make it more palatable.  Music is about hearing and personal taste.  Emotional reactions.  Any music sounds good to at least some people.   If only the people that play it.

Ellington's name in a paragraph on Fusion???  How dare you.

Cheers
Frogman,

I'd never heard of Martial Solal until your last post. Just spent the last half hour listening to his stuff.

Whoa......

Two of my favorite things in life are discovering new food and new music. You nailed this one.

Thank you. This guy is the sh*t!!!

-- Bob
***** Sadly, not much new. Wholesale panning of an entire genre that, obviously, many on his thread find value in; and, instead of simply expressing dislike it is put down in insulting ways. Nice.*****

Well the sign over the door does say 'Jazz for Aficionados'.  If Jazz can be panned, surely non-Jazz stands a good chance of being Panned.  AND, unlike some people, my opinion is just that, MY opinion.   No more or less valid than any other.  But differences in opinion does make for good conversation.   

And btw, I have insulted no one.  But maybe some folks consider differences as insulting.

Cheers
Now we await the deluge of "why do you bother' or "they are so arrogant" or "call the administrators" or well,   you get the drift.

Cheers