Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I retract my last post because that would be equivalent to telling a scientist, that if he can not come up with something equivalent to Einstein's famous formulas, he's a flop.

Enjoy the music.
With regard to fusion and the "development" of the tune being played; one of my favorite all time compositions is "Music for 18 Musicians" by Steve Reich.  He is a modern classical composer and for me, illustrates the development of seemingly repetitive music beautifully.

I apologize in advance for throwing classical music into a jazz thread but only did so to read your opinion and learn and discover more about jazz.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5U9577N-dQ
******But, let me get this straight, fusion would not suck if it weren't considered jazz.   I get it now. ******

Just in case that's a feeble attempt at sarcasm, think about it this way.

Placido Domingo doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6iSL1dsShc

Or, James Brown doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucXt7eaWRI

Two great artists, as long as they stay in their lanes.

Cheers
Trying to follow your logic and not having much luck; help me out please.

****But, Fusion still sucks, unless, it's not considered Jazz, then it's just another genre. ****

So, from that comment and your examples I gather that you're  saying that the genre fusion doesn't suck: it's just that jazz players playing it make it suck?  Or simply calling it jazz makes it suck? Why am I following this logic?  Let's see:

Funk doesn't suck and James Brown doesn't suck.
Opera doesn't suck and Placido doesn't suck.
James Brown singing opera sucks.
Placido singing funk sucks.

We are in agreement so far.  Now, 

Chick Corea plays great jazz.
Chick Corea playing fusion sucks.  Or is it?:
Fusion sucks because Chick Corea plays it.

Herbie Hancock plays great jazz.
Herbie playing fusion sucks.  Or is it?:
Fusion sucks because Herbie plays it.

Jeff Beck doesn't suck.
Jeff Beck is not a "jazz" player.
Jeff Beck playing jazz sucks.  But,
Jeff Beck playing fusion doesn't suck.
Fusion played by Jeff Beck doesn't suck.

Am I getting warm?