Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Point Of Order:

*****   Why listen to Wynton's band playing this music when I can listen to Duke; just not on the same level. *****

You cannot use logic, or a line of reasoning, to make a point, that you previously lambasted, ridiculed or deemed silly / stupid when used by others.

(1) I think I compared three different performances of Donna Lee.

(2) I asked, why pickup Harrell, when Hubbard is right there next to it.

Cheers
You bring up something interesting. Sorry, it IS like smooth jazz as far as the music and music values go. The interesting thing I refer to and which is something that goes to the bigger picture of what it is that makes some music appeal to some. The message of the music as expressed through lyrics and even the music in the context of the societal issue that it is trying to express may not be "smooth" (apartheid), but, no matter how relevant that issue may be doesn’t necessarily make it good music in its totality. Of course, we have to take into account our own individual emotional association with the music or its message. Good music is defined by the quality of the message as well as the quality of the craft. To my ears, smooth, easy on the ears, whatever, his craft falls short. Will post some flugelhorn when I have some time. For starters think about the "easy on the ears" music that he plays and the demands that it presents (not!) on the player. It’s all a matter of degree. He can play nicely on some things even with the instrumental shortcomings I mentioned. Navigating the changes for Donna Lee or Lush Life? I’d rather go on that safari.

Frogman, as sure as the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West, I was just that sure you're post would be "contrary" to mine. The word "fusion" as you have been using it, has absolutely nothing to do with "Machito and Diz" and you know it. Everybody who has been following your posts on fusion, knows precisely what the word "fusion" means according to the Frogman.

Great clip jzzmusician; and your commentary is exactly right. Machito and his orchestra were one of the greatest of the Latin bands; and, of course, Dizzy is a great fit. (a fit to "Frogman's" fusion?) Frogman, your fusion is a "shape shifter".

Call him out Rok, you know and I know Diz got zip to do with Frogman's fusion.

Frogman, this post and every post you write lately is Orpheus "Contrarian". Notice how carefully worded this post in regard to Hugh Masekela is; Rok has already mentioned the fluglehorn. Now notice how Frogman throws in "Greatest ever", when I was referring to Masekela's versions of his own tune "Stimela".
That's not even my comment, it's someone else's comment in regard to Masekela's different versions of "Stimela". What the holy smoly does Barry White have to do with "Stimela", I don't get that one Frogman, could you expound, or expand, whichever you choose.

Last, but not at all least, you always jump in on my post meant for someone else, and misinterpret the post. How can you expect to understand a post, that's not even meant for you, and complain because I didn't write the post in a fashion, that you "Frogman" could understand.

Enjoy the music.
Your last post:

Sorry, you're argument doesn't hold water.  Apples and oranges.  Don't knee jerk react; think about this, it's very interesting stuff.  First of all, I was talking about Wynton's band and the way they play that music compared to Duke's band.  As far as Wynton the player goes compared to Freddie and Harrel?  Simple: both Freddie and Harrel say something when they improvise; to my ears. Wynton doesn't. 
My point is when I compared three different players  playing Donna Lee, you call it silly and ridiculous.   When I suggest Harrell was a noise maker, and why would anyone buy his CDs when right next to them in the 'H' section, was Hubbard.  Again silly and stupid.  

This has nothing to do with the talent of anyone, has to do with the type of examples used to make a point.

Of course, you know this.

Cheers