Tube dampeners on ARC gear ... FREE TWEAK

Here's a cheap (free) tweak for owners of ARC gear using the black tube dampeners. If you move both dampeners as far up toward the top of the tube as possible without having the top one fall off, taking care that both dampeners are solidly touching each other, you will get better dynamics, bass, mids, highs and a lower noise floor. Try it ... you'll like it.
128x128oregonpapa
don_c55
536 posts
05-26-2016 7:34pm
Never liked dampers on tubes.

They affect the thermal flow within the tube, and reduce the "Natural Bloom" of the music IMO!

Hey, me too, never liked tube dampers - until Herbies came along. Finally someone figured out how to make them. Previously I had Pearl coolers, the Swiss Ensemble tube jackets, elastomer rings, ebony discs, and some others. The Herbies are open, dynamic, clean and melodious.

smotojo ..

I have a friend that uses ARC tube dampeners on his "other than" ARC amp. 

don_c55 ...

What kind of measurements have you don't to assess the "thermal flow?"  Can you supply a study or a link?  Thanks ...

OP

georgelofi
1,520 posts
06-01-2016 5:40pm
"If going down this path, don't buy "audiophile" ones that rip you a new one with pricing. Just pick your poison from here.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsilicon+O+r...

Cheers George"

Sure, you can use the inexpensive ones, that is if you're enamored of that rolled off closed in sound. Like everything else in audio and life sometimes you get what you pay for.