Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Actually Frogman played Saturday Dance off the same recording, not the one I played. I don't see another poster of that.
Is this fusion? or is it jazz??
(please pardon the interruption by a non-attorney spokesperson)

Lyle Mays (self-titled) 1986 Geffen Records
1 Highland Aire
2 Teiko
3 Slink
4 Mirror of the Heart
Alaskan Suite:
   5 Northern Lights
   6 Invocation
   7 Ascent
8 Close to Home
Alex, that was a great post.  Tone is debatably the biggest consideration for all professional musicians, at least those that play acoustic instruments.  Classical musicians in particular have to be able to play with extremely wide variations of tone color, though to a trained ear they will also always sound like themselves.  One of my old-school teachers said something that I agree with myself and tell my own students - no matter how well you can play the instrument, who will want to pay to listen to you if you don't have a good sound?  

I am much like you when I am listening for pleasure (as opposed to for study) - I simply won't listen very long to someone whose tone I don't care for.   And I'll let you in on a little secret - I generally have a dislike for the sound of electronically produced music.  It just doesn't have the life that acoustic music does, for me, no matter how well done.  It always sounds a little dead, or metallic, in comparison.  
Acman, thanks, that clip I could open, and its realy nice music, I  dont have that album, will search for it.
Frogman, the credit for it goes to you, of course.
Learsfool ,kind words,I will blush,ha,ha. Glad that I've maybe started some meangfull exchange of thoughts, but we still must wait for the guys from peanuts gallery to hear their opinion about the subject of tone and its influence on their (dis)likings of some music mentioned here.
As for me, I have noticed that more and more I listen or serch music from West coast, but there are lot of reasons to be considered why.
I believe that 'taste' of music shows more about one's essence of personal existence than it can be simply described with few words.Somehow expirience teach me that often one's estechical choice determine his ethical.( there are exceptions, of course, on both sides)
I do not want to sound too radical or too shalow ,its just the thought on subject and would like to here more personal explanations instead of descriptions, when there is talk about the things that are liked or not.

Ghosthouse, Definitely! Probably Post/ Post Fusion :) . I have worn out 2 Lp's of this! An all time favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQrgE8hF8Qw