Tube dampeners on ARC gear ... FREE TWEAK

Here's a cheap (free) tweak for owners of ARC gear using the black tube dampeners. If you move both dampeners as far up toward the top of the tube as possible without having the top one fall off, taking care that both dampeners are solidly touching each other, you will get better dynamics, bass, mids, highs and a lower noise floor. Try it ... you'll like it.
128x128oregonpapa
geoffkait ...

If the stock tube rings from ARC "suck," why is there such an improvement with them in the proper placement, and why the degradation of the sound when they are totally removed from the tubes?  

I don't like to guess. What tube dampeners are you referring to?

Mapman ...

Have you tried moving the tube rings to the position suggested in the opening post in this thread? If so ... what were the results??

OP
OP

I put mine on both close to the top but not touching.  I have heard microphonic effects in the sound from time to time in the past with no dampers on and this seems to solve the problem though I am sure there are other ways as well. 

I think GK mentioned liking the Herbies dampers if I recall correctly.   Don't recall why.
^^^ Mapman ...

Those Herbies dampeners look interesting.  

Warren Gehl at ARC suggested that the two rings be pressed together and placed about 1/8th inch from the top of the tubes. No gap between the rings. It made a big overall improvement in my ARC electronics ... not subtle at all. 
Oregonpapa wrote,

"geoffkait ...

If the stock tube rings from ARC "suck," why is there such an improvement with them in the proper placement, and why the degradation of the sound when they are totally removed from the tubes?"

I was was referring to generic elastomer rings, never tried the ARC tube rings. I guess they're what you call an exception. There's an exception to every rule.  ;-)

OP next time I open that sucker up I will check the dampers and try that.

I last dabbled with them quite a ways back. Its possible they are set up as you describe already but not sure. I know they are at the top not far apart but not sure if actually touching. Could be....