Newbie With Magnepan 1.7is

Hi all,

My name is Peter and I recently purchased a pair of year-old Magnepan 1.7i speakers from someone local after hearing them in person (he was running a PS DAC Directstream + pre-amp + amp, playing DSD files from computer + could change songs via Wi-Fi on his phone--with no sub, stuff was awesome!).

I’m looking for some advice on what to get for my own set-up. My room will be a 17’ x 16’ living room with wood floors, and 10’ of the 17’ side will open up to a dining area. The corner on the far side of the same 17’ wall will open up about 3 feet along the 16’ to a long hallway. I would like to set up the Maggies for music, and the occasional movie (maybe 2-5% of the time). Would like to be able to play music via Wi-Fi and be able to change songs on my computer and/or phone. (My computer is really good already since I built it for photo-editing purposes, but would I need a dedicated sound card?) Also would like to be able to add a subwoofer down the line (maybe in 3-5 years).

So far, I have:
- Magnepan 1.7i (pair)
- PeachTree 220 Amp

Trying to keep my budget for pre-amp + BT bypass + cables under $1,200. Am OK with used/older equipment here. The guy who sold me the Maggies told me I could do a receiver + amp. Can make me some recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
128x128mazerunner
@lucidear: Don’t think I’ll be doing a 5.1 or 7.1 anytime soon. Think it’ll just be a 2.1 down the line. Read the Chris Martens on HiFi+ and that’s why I bought the PeachTree 220s. But am wondering on the cables + pre-amp or receiver right now. Does the receiver have to provide a powerful enough signal to the amp? Or does it really not matter since the amp provides the power to speakers?

I was eying a Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2050 but wasn’t sure if it’ll go with it. Sold though. =(

How much should I spend on cables? Saw one at https://www.audiogon.com/listings/speaker-magnepan-speaker-cables-silver-teflon-3-meter-2016-05-14-c... and am thinking about them. Seller says they’ll work for the 220 to 1.7is.

@bdp24
: Thanks! I saw that in several mentions about the 1.7is. Will mark off floor with a small piece of gaffe tape or something once I figure out the rest.

Still open to advice from anyone who could point me to a receiver or pre-amp (can be more than 1 part) set-up that'll allow me to play stuff off computer via Wi-Fi! :)

I can answer anything photography (I do weddings + events) if anyone wants to PM me! :D
Peter,
Don't know about the SC you linked, worth a try I guess...
keep in mind that if you wanna go with major brands the cable co. Has a prorgam where you can rent cables from them and the money you pay for each rental is then given as credit for a final purchase.

If not going for a 5.1 or 7.1 and you're using your computer as a source, then why go for a multichannel receiver when you already have an amp?
have you looked at Oppo 103d or better yet 105d as a preamp?
they play cd,sacd,BR dvd and high res downloads as well as being a preamp, and with both getting great reviews.
to my thinking you have the amp, just get one of these and good RCA Interconnects and speaker cables and you're set...
Don't know if they are Wifi capable though, but here is a good review for the 105:
http://www.dagogo.com/oppo-digital-bdp-105d-blu-raysacd-player-darbee-edition-review
look for a used 5 channel Sunfire amp like the Cinema Grand - set it up to bi-amp your Maggies

it sounds like your room configuration is unbalanced with a big open area on one side - you'll just have to suffer with it like me
Mazerunner, you have made a superb choice in Magnepan. You have obviously used your ears to guide you to the best choice for the money. I suggest that you continue in this wise.

Especially with cables. Try before you buy. Every time. What I have always done is to buy ultra cheap, generic cables for a few bucks. Consider these as disposable. Hook them up and get used to the sound.

Then challenge a vendor, and yourself, to get a better sound. You may find that you get more bang for the buck anywhere but with cables. I draw your attention to the Maxwell Equations which govern electromagnetic physics. A consequence of these equations is that low inductance / high capacitance is desirable in speaker wire, and high inductance / low capacitance cable is desirable for interconnect.

As a practical matter, that means two speaker wires placed as close together as possible, and the two conductors of interconnect as far apart as possible (but there are limits: it depends on how intense the radio frequency field is in your area). You can do pretty well yourself as a DIY project. If you want to try this, start with a good quality microphone cable (with woven shield), for a buck or two per foot, and non-magnetic phono plugs (that is, buy a small rare earth magnet at a dollar store and take it with you to buy phono plugs, and if they attract, don’t buy them).

If you don’t solder, there are lots of people who are not opposed to making a few bucks on the side.

Yeah, I know, some people say it’s a good idea to spend big bucks on cabling, and maybe it works for them. But I have a high end system, mostly DIY, and I last bought ready made cables 20 years ago - and don’t use them now. My mileage has differed. So may yours.

Just a cranky old goat’s opinions, nothing more. YMMD.

Good luck !! You’ve made a very auspicious beginning.