Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
So, it appears as if you guys went from Jazz-Jazz to Fusion, while I went from Fusion to Jazz-Jazz.

Cheers
acman3,

Bass Desires.  Never heard it. Listened to both versions and like them both.  Like "dayum, this is some good sh*t" sort of like. 

Your point about taking the time to "learn the language" is a wonderful one.  Jazz musicians are well known for trying new ways to express their music.  Often times their music is met with outrage.  Classical composers too.

I'm sure there were time that when Jelly Roll Morton played women fainted, men got angry and the newspapers reported that blasphemy had taken place at the club downtown.

-- Bob
acman3,

I know you've probably heard this before, but here's another tune featuring the bass laying down the foundation of the tune. 

Not good quality, but listenable.

-- Bob

Oscar Peterson Trio, "Nigerian Marketplace."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJplKSrRbxQ
It appears my hypothesis has already proven to be false, and I was ready to make it a theory, if not a law. :)

Thanks for the Oscar Peterson, a great record by a great group. 

Some excellent posts and commentary recently; thanks everyone.  Acman3, that Weather Report live clip is amazing;  I had not heard that previously.  Probably my favorite lineup in that band with Jaco and Peter Erskine (who sounds amazing).  Fusion that for me captures the spirit and feeling of jazz without having to apologize for not being jazz-jazz.  You beat me to the punch with the Dixie Dregs clip; they were going to be part of my 1978 list.  I like your description of them as a possible "gateway band" to jazz.  For anyone who cares about this sort of thing and to show the influences that come into play, that band was started by jazz students at the University Of Miami School Of Music (my alma mater) and was first called the U of M Rock Ensemble. Speaking of Ro(c)k:

Rok, not intended as further argument, but simply dialogue about some interesting topics and related to comments that you made and in no way intended to try and change your mind about anything:

****It has no impact what so ever. Music is an emotional thingy, just like all Art. Critical analysis does not change how it affects a person, it's just nice to know information, good for academic study, or conversation over drinks. Nothing more.****

I've already expressed my feelings about this topic, allow me to use an example to make my point:

You are absolutely correct, it is an emotional thingy; however, I recall commenting on and sharing music by the great Paul Desmond and pointing out to you something in the music that you had not noticed before.  In the arrangement of a particular ballad there was a point when Desmond, while soloing, reacts  to the orchestration and "answers" the musical line that the woodwinds in the orchestra play with the same musical figure, but now incorporated in his improvised solo.  I also recall that your reaction was "I burst out laughing when I heard that!"  Now, if that is not an emotional reaction as a result of critical analysis then I don't know what is.  I'll take it a step further:

We have also discussed "quotes" in improvisations; something that, as far as I can tell, was also something that you had not noticed previously.  Well, much later and after first discussing this, I noticed comments by you re clips that you posted about musical "quotes" in those clips.  Are you trying to say that the recognition of these quotes have no impact on your emotional reaction to this music; that your experience with the music is not enhanced by that recognition?

Cheers