Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Chazro, thanks for the comments. Your point is well taken, but classic son predates what we now know as salsa. As usual when trying to establish timelines re the evolution of a music form the lines get blurred. As you point out, son is a key ingredient in salsa, but before the brassy, big-band like salsa bands came to be (with their complex arrangements, perhaps in part due to the influence of the American dance bands), son was performed with much simpler instrumentation and had a much "folksier" vibe. The guitar was at the forefront and would be replaced later by the piano and the percussion used a generally lighter touch. The overall rhythmic feeling, structure and other elements such as call and response and vocal improvisation is like and became the heart of salsa, as you point out.

Classic son:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YDp3l-syaWc

One thing is undeniable, it swings like crazy, as you say.

This is a classic "guajira (-son)". "Lamento Guajiro". Trans. "Countryboy's Lament". Cuban blues?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bY6WM3-W4

Beautiful stuff!
Rok, I resisted giving you a hard time re Phil Woods in my previous post, but now that you brought the subject of your unforgivable transgression and oversight up again....:-)

Phil Woods is indeed one of the greats. Has been for a long time and I am glad that you have discovered him and that "he is everywhere" now (on your radar).

I will check out Ferrell and report back. Thanks.

Rok, I'm still alive. Although life's changes put me up against a wall, I had to respond to that Rachell Farrell clip. It's what jazz is all about; she put every ounce of her heart into it, making the statement, "This is who I am".

Every second of that clip was outstanding; all of the artists were allowed to speak, and each spoke quite eloquently.

Frogman, I admire your in depth explanations of things most jazz aficionados don't know, but are eager to learn.

I want Leersfool and Acman3 to know I appreciate their input as well. Although I won't be posting, I'll continue to read everyone's posts religiously.

Keep up the good work Rok.

Enjoy the music.
O-10,

I could not believe my eyes when I saw your post!! Welcome back!! You have been greatly missed.

I hope you will be able to post more often in the future.

Since I now know you will reading, I will now have to choose my words more carefully.

Of course I am happy you agree about the Ferrell clip. I received one of her CDs yesterday titled "Rachelle Ferrell". Along with one by Kenny Burrell, "Bluesy Burrell".

I will report when I have listened to them both.

Again, welcome back!

Cheers!!
O-10, I started to post on several occasions to ask if you were alright, but knew that you would let us know when ready. Glad you are back and that you are able to prevail over whatever it is that life has thrown your way. One thing is certain, music always helps a great deal; it feeds the spirit. Welcome back. This one's for you:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-xGPHseCQrI