Bookshelf speakers on a budget

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a decent pair of bookshelf speakers. However I'm on a budget in the $400-$500 range; I know this is a low dollar amount but it's all I can afford right now. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Thanks 
hfarrior3
I have to agree with Williewonka and Sbank. I have owned the Tannoy Mercury M2 speakers a couple of years ago and they are a VERY musical speaker and if you can find them they will hit your budget. A sub may be needed. When I had the Mercury M2 powered by a Hafler DH500 and the bass was good but the highs were so so. Like stated above you may need a sub.

Years later I just couldn't resist the ELAC Debut B6 speakers because of the price and buzz around them. With a pair of Red Dragon M1000 monoblock amps they were wonderful sounding. I felt the air coming out of those ports when I cranked up the volume. With a Jolida JD502P tube amp the B6 speakers were almost as nice. A little more warm in the top end.

YMMV and good luck with the search.
Dali Zensor.Zensor1 if you have a really small room,Zensor3 will give you BIG bass but will need a bit more room to breathe.BOTH will give you a wonderfuly musical presentation with excellent imaging & sound staging!
If you can stretch the budget just a bit, I'd suggest taking a strong look at the Peachtree D5 at $599 a pair.  These used to sell for $799, and were a good bang for the buck then.  Very nice looking and decent bass for their size.  I'm really happy with mine.
Audio Engine makes some of the best sounding small speakers for around $250.00-$500. And they are self powered! just connect a source and your good to go. http://www.whathifi.com/audioengine/a2/review.

Also, check out the Audioengine A3.

Matt M