Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Acman3:

I have that CD. Now I will have to listen to it. Nice clip.

The Blind Boys of Alabama really shine on "The Gospel At Colonus" I have that CD and the DVD. Check it out.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
The 0-10:

Singers like these are my absolute favorite form of Jazz. But good ones are hard to find. I was hooked on LH&R from the day I first heard "Cloudburst". I was amazed because I heard and understood every word!!

The clip you sent with Bavan, sounds better than the stuff with Ross. Ross could get shrill at times. Hard on the ears. I think she ruined "sing a song of basie" by singing in an octave too high. I don't blame her, the arranger is at fault.

I knew of the arrival of Bavan, and I think I have one CD with her. I will search out the tune you sent. very nice.

The manhattan Transfer is my current favorite. The last one of theirs I bought was "swing". Excellent. They are with 'Stephane Grappelli' and 'Asleep at the Wheel'. I think the Swing refers to Texas Swing. Good Stuff. And last but not least, Janis Siegel is a FOX!

'The New York voices' are just a little bit too New Yorkish for my taste. Great voices, but the arrangements are too 'sophisticated'. I hesitate to use that word, might give The Frogman the big head.

The only other group like these that I am familiar with is 'The Swingle Singers'. Have them with MJQ and another with Oscar Peterson. Didn't like either. I think they are based in Europe.

Thanks for the lead on LH&B.

BTW, I get "Andy Bey and the Bey Sisters" tomorrow. Maybe I will have good news.

Cheers
*****She's maybe a little more grimy, ***** I assume you meant to say 'Gritty'. I would hate to think of Nina as grimy. :)

I love the woman. Nina Simone is a unique talent. I would recommend the 4 CD set "Four Women" if you want to get into her music.

I don't consider London a Jazz singer. She is awesome at what she does, but I would not consider it Jazz.

I am not familiar with Johnny Dyani, but I will search him out. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers
****Rok, since you like vocals of the religious persuasion, here's one especially for you.******

Wunderbar!!! Maravilloso!!! Merveilleux!!! Wonderful!!!

Do you know how hard it is to find music like this, sung like this. Reminds me of the Fisk University folks.

And this appears to be a good source of other good music. I checked out the brass group also. Great stuff!!

I like the venue also. Intimate.

Our OP does not speak often, but when he does, wow!!

Thanks for the clip and site. I will visit it often.

And I suspect, I am not the only person here that likes "Vocals of the Religious Persuasion. :)

Cheers