Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Orpheus - glad you took a look at the documentary.   I was in the same boat.  Knew the Eric Dolphy name, knew he was highly regarded, but little else.  By the way, I haven't made it through the entirety yet.  Watched about 2/3rds last night.  Will finish it this evening.  I hear what you are saying about ED's death though it comes across a little a harsh to me.  Not sure what the state of "health awareness" was back then.  Maybe some amount of ignorance contributed.  Personally, the circumstances around a musician's death don't affect how I, personally, view their music.  There is a bitter irony that ED (who idolized Charlie Parker) was suspected of being "a junkie" when in fact he was reportedly a straight arrow, clean and sober.  Regardless, the documentary is great for the insight it provides about the jazz profession a few decades back...not to mention little snapshots of personal relationships; e.g., Charles Mingus' reaction after ED quit his band.  

BTW - "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I got 20/20 vision." is fantastic.  That yours? or are you quoting someone??  Regardless, a great one-liner.  

Now that I think about it Ghosthouse, it was extremely harsh. I didn't take "that time" into consideration, which means public awareness of diabetes. While my statement was accurate, it didn't take mitigating factors into consideration.

Personally, I'm going to erase that and focus on his music. That document certainly increased my knowledge of the man and his music, and I thank you for this.

I would appreciate it if we both got into his music, and compared notes and opinions in a specified time that I'll leave to you.

BTW - Thunk it up all by myself.

Enjoy the music.

Eric was different in every way. As I stated before, a jazz musician and his music are one; the fact that almost everybody else plays someone else's music, while a jazz musicians music is coming from his soul helps to confirm this.

That statement is based on 3 jazz musicians that I was close to as people, and liked their music. While that's a small number, it's a big number relative to most people. When I listen to Eric's music, I can see Eric in an abstract sort of way.

None of us can comprehend how important a jazz musicians music is to him; everything else is secondary. Another thing about jazz musicians that's incomprehensible to us is their love for another jazz musician who is in harmony with their music. An example is Roach and Brown; Max was out of whack for a long time after Clifford's death.

Very few musicians can be in harmony with Mingus's music, but Eric was, and that's why Mingus was so upset about Eric leaving him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimpUKVAbY8

I think Eric sounds best as sideman; that's because a concentrated dose of Eric is more than I can handle.

Enjoy the music.
"None of us can comprehend how important a jazz musicians music is to him; everything else is secondary."

"I think Eric sounds best as sideman; that’s because a concentrated dose of Eric is more than I can handle."

To the above: WELL SAID.

Dolphy’s dedication to his craft came out so clearly in that documentary. I admire his almost "monastic" commitment.

Spent some time today with his "Out to Lunch"; also a release called, "In the Blues". Dolphy front and center on both and I confess not getting through all of them. BUT, I feel like there is something "there" for me and if I listen long enough I just might "get it". So do a little at a time. Go back repeatedly. Hopefully something starts to stick and things begin to unfold. I love the tone of his bass clarinet. What a great, under-utilized instrument for jazz. Prefer it over sax (baritone sax a distant second) but for me as a complete novice, his flute playing is more accessible.

Somehow Dolphy reminds me of Stravinsky/Schoenberg/Webern...very angular compositions; "post-romantic" if be-bop can be considered "romantic".  I’ll defer to the truly educated "musicologists", of course.

You are welcome on the documentary. Very pleased someone else benefited from it.